Ferris or snapper 32 inch hydro walkbehind ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman_scott, Feb 9, 2005.

1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone ever used either of these mowers? They are hydros, but its a single unit, not two different wheel motors. It is supposed to work like a differencial. How hard are they to use and to control. If your mowing wet grass taking a pass next to a pond on a slight incline would you feel safe?

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I have a simplicity it is the same, 15 hp elec start these mowers are hydro very easy to control,i looked at ferris and snapper these mowers were more expensive and had recoil starts.

3. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a ferris hydowalk 36" wb and it works the same way as the machines you mentioned. It uses disk breaks to turn. It works pretty good as long as the breaks are adjusted right, although it's not as good as a dual hydro setup.

4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

For What it's Worth I had One sitting on the Trailer for a Couple Weeks and the Guys always Grabbed the 21" Prolines first....No Real Mulch Kit just a Block off-plate...& on the Real Small lots...it did Tire you Out.

5. lawnman_scott

Thats what Im worried about. It will be for backyards only, and I dont see it being any better than the belt drive toro with all of the turning. Is that what they thought?

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

There are a few people on here that have one of those mowers and I have heard that they are very easy to control and they seem to like them.

7. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

I beleive that the ferris and snapper are the same machine. I think that they are made by Giant Vac or Simplicity. I am not sure though.

Although, I have a 32" Great Dane Champ that I'm trying to sell. It's a single hydro drive unit, the only difference is that it has a differential, and a brake on each side (like a regular walk-behind) so that you don't have to manhandle it through turns. It has a 12.5 Kawasaki and between 120-150 hours on it. It only needs to have new brakes installed (I have them, I just don't have the tools to change..shouldn't take much though). Anyway, I'm asking $700 for it. I don't have a use for it anymore..I got a 32" stander now.

8. lawnman_scott

You have a 32 stander? A Wright stander? Becuase I havent been able to confirm that a 32 stander exists. Im not doubting you, but the website didnt have it on there and dealers didnt know. If so, how much was it if you dont mind my asking. I think your right about ferris and snapper, they didnt even try to make them look different.

9. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

Yeah, I got the 32" Wright stander and have been using since about the first or second week of December or so. I got it for $3899. , which is less than the channel partner discount. I think that it's on their site now.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

For those responding by saying "it did tire you out" might I recommend that you spend less time on LS and more at a gym.