Ferris or Toro w/b

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by stryper, Jun 6, 2005.

1. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

This is a different variation on an earlier post I made...so, sorry if it sounds too familiar. At that time eXmark was in the running, but I've since taken them out, as I just don't know the dealer well enough to be comfortable with him. (Although he may be a great guy, and he did seem to want to work a deal with me.)

Anyway, hopefully I'll finally be moving up to a w/b in the near future, and I think I've just about got it narrowed down to these two:

Toro T-Bar or Ferris UltraBelt

Both are at the same dealer, who I've dealt with before, and are similarly priced. Both are 48" fixed deck no-frills machines.

So, is the T-Bar that big a deal? I've only got a couple of acres to mow, but I want a commercial quality cut.

Also, does either cut/stripe noticeably better than the other?

And what about maneuverability? Is either one better?

The dealer is steering me toward the Ferris, says it's a better machine, but other than the T-Bar, they all kinda look the same to me. (He also sells Bobcat, but put that even farther down the list.)

2. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Quite frankly you are looking at a commercial unit for residential usage...........all of the ones mentioned will last you a lifetime if you take care of them....even the Bobcat. All three are excellent choices. I will say the T bar steering is one of the best (if not the best) control for a belt drive. Test each one and see what you like. I did the same thing, however, also factored in a Gravely. By my signature you will see what I chose :) My decision came down to features vs $$$ and quite frankly the Gravely has many upgrades that the more expensive models from the other brands have. I do like the three brands you mentioned. Like I said demo them and dealer support is also key. Good luck!!

If interested, do a search on my user name and you will see countless posts with my comparisons of the different units from about 3 years ago. It may help you with your search as well.

Don

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the above. I have a 36" Toro w/ T bar and it is easy to control. I did not care for the pistol grips. If you are wide open, check out a sulky as well.

4. brymenke

brymenke LawnSite Member

I love my T-bars. Much easier to operate than the pisols as far as I'm concened. My only problem with the T-bars is a safety issue. I've carelessly struck stumps on more than one occasion while riding on my proslide behind my units with tbars. When that happens your weight is shifted forward on the tbar causing the mower to accelerate and throwing you off the mower and if it spins, onto the motor/deck. Pistol grips might allow you to escape this situation if you apply the brakes when striking something. Am I making sense? Otherwise I have loved my tbars.
    Bryan
    Hillsboro, MO