1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ferris Owners....tell me about the 1500 IS...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by From Dust 'til Lawn, Sep 12, 2008.

1. From Dust 'til Lawn

From Dust 'til Lawn LawnSite Member

I'm looking at one and it's a great price....likes and dislikes????? True Commercial grade????????? Thanks!!!! oh.....it's a 48in deck....

2. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

is it new? what size engine?

3. fishmagnet

fishmagnet LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Do a 'SEARCH' on Ferris 1500, should get you lots of info/opinions.

We have the 1500 with 48" 21 Kaw, and yes it is commercial grade!:weightlifter:

4. From Dust 'til Lawn

this to is the 48 with the 21 Kawi motor...

5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I had 8 hrs on one and I can say this....

Aside from the Ferris IS500, it's an entry level commercial machine. With the mowing I do, I personally wouldn't want one for daily use. Again, in my opinion, I would opt for the IS 2000. Much better quality (sort of) but much better in the suspension dept.

I found it to be a little "rinky dink" and the engine bogged down heavily when mowing the hills that I do but then again, I was an idiot for buying the Hustler Super Z with the 25kawi cuz the damn thing bogs down too on the hills that I mow.

My dealer, who I give $$$ to each year offered to bring the Hustler to the site with the hills and allow me to demo it.....................a no brainer right? NO. Cuz the 1500 bogged, I figured there was NO WAY the Hustler would so YMMV.

6. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I really like my 1500, 48". I've got close to 150 hours on it. The ride is good, probably not quite as good as the larger models, but good. The power is excellent. Only a couple of times have I wanted a little more power, but it was in extreme conditions. The cut quality is pretty good. I have noticed lately that the grass looks really good after double cutting, but it will give an acceptable cut the first time.

As far as being commercial, I would say that it is tough enough for daily use. I cut 1-2 days a week, so it has done fine for me. For full time use, I would suggest looking to the larger 2000 or 3100 if your budget allows and if the yards you are cutting can handle a mower that big. For smaller yards, sure, the 1500 with a 48" deck is a great fit.

7. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

With my full season long 8 hours I would have to agree with ^

8. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

I have mine with about 525 hrs. on it now and overall ive been pretty happy with it. You have to keep sharp blades for the cut to be great and it stripes well without a kit. Ive had little problems with, mostly stupid electrical safety switches and a wheel motor but that was covered under warrenty. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. For the money its great. I cut a couple days a week, probably about 30 acres weekly. I think i paid 5800 out the door for mine brand new 3 years ago.

9. From Dust 'til Lawn

Thanks everyone...I would be cutting only a few days a week with it...part time...any one use the collection systems for them?

10. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the bigger units the 1500 is not full suspention.