Ferris Price Check

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodfather, Mar 26, 2005.

1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer has a Ferris IS4000 Z with 512 hours and 72" deck. 33hp liquid cooled 3 cyclinder for $6500. Thoughts anyone?
  2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I would offer him $6,000 and see what he says. Although I do believe that $6,500 is a fair price. I didn't think they made the 4000 in a 72" deck!? Anyways...i would go for it. 512hrs is a drop in the bucket for that 33hp LC.

3. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

Rod, Does it have to be a 72"? You can buy a 61" 27 hp Ferris for $6000. The ad is in March's Turf Magazine, page B56, Collinsville power equipment.The price sounds about right on the 72". Not buying new?
  4. rodfather

It got my attention since we just picked up a 81 acre school district. In 11 years, we have always bought all of our Ferris mowers new (around 20 or so) so far. I went through our customer list as well to see where I could also use it (probably about 60 other props). So I am kind of curious...
  5. Apples

Then why not an IS 5000 with a cat motor.That's a lot of ground to cover.
  6. rodfather

An additional 8 grand is why. :)
  7. Apples

ok fair enough,keep us posted on what you do.
  8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Rod, only you can answer this. How much more is a new unit?? Remember new=factory warranty. Is the savings and additional 500 hrs (bout 1 years commercial use) offset the quality of a new unit?? You probably know more about ferris reliability than anyone i know. Also, do you know who had this unit and how it was treated/abused??
  9. rodfather

Actually Td, a local park system here had it and traded it in for some smaller WB's. It's been well maintained too. Now get this. The only person to use it for all that time is the uncle to one of my college guys. I called and spoke to him (the uncle) and he told me everything about the machine. It hasn't been abused in the least way.

I don't fell like shelling out some 14 grand right now for that IS5000...this particular unit got my attention though.
  10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Give him the money he wants. $6500 is very fair. If you want to jew him to the point of bankrupsy, go ahead and do it. But do not post a thread next year "My dealer went broke, now what do I do?"

I get really really tired of all the threads on this site
    1. "I am a professional, and I will not work for less than $60 per hr. I am worth it."
    2. "I just screwed my dealer down to $xxxxx. (He is not worth top dollar)".
    3 "Oh my gosh - my dealer went broke, - what do I do?".
    4. "My dealer sucks - I bought my mower from another dealer that was $299 cheaper, and my local dealer does not give me good service.?" Whoa - what gives here.?"

I also would like to know why there are so many threads that basically ask "Is this a good price on this (xxxxxx) mower. If you are smart enough to go into lawn maintainance, you better be smart enough to have an idea about what is worth what.

Just my humble opinion.