Ferris problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ASBK, Nov 2, 2006.

1. ASBK

ASBK LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Today during normal operation ( cutting at full throttle, blades engaged ) the engine ( 13hp Kawasaki ) started to cut out in the same fashion as if you let go of the handles and the kill switch shut the engine down. I hit the switch to disengage the blades and it fired up and continued to run like nothing happened. I then re-engaged the blades and had the same cutting out effect. I shut it off then started it again and was able to resume normal operation , this happened about three times. Anyone have an idea whats going on?

2. shsmallengines

shsmallengines LawnSite Member

Check the seat safety switch had one in the shop doing the same thing

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I will take a guess that your left hand operator presence switch is on the way out. Most right handed people will hold the left grip to shift etc. with their right, But if your left handed then it would be the right.

4. ASBK

ASBK LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Should have mentioned the mower is the 32 Hydrocut wb.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

No matter what type unit it is the symptoms you described sounds like a operator presence switch acting up so that would be a place to start checking. Could even be the PTO switch as well because some have a safety switch incorporated in with it.

BTW, You still have to remove one hand from one of the handles to turn the PTO on correct ?

6. ASBK

ASBK LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Thanks for the pointers guys :waving:

7. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

yes it is either the operator presence switch as he said or the pto switch. if it is this years model, first wiggle you operator presence handles if one has a a little to much play get an allan wrench loosen the screw under the handle a little hold the other handle all the way down and set your other handle around the same position and tighten the screw. Problem solved. Also this years PTO switches go out after a few months worth of work. Last years might to do not know because we do not own any of last years model. Hope this helps.