Ferris Re-Design on New 07 Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Nov 15, 2006.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone seen one of the New 07 Ferris Comfort DD walk behinds? They are like the current ones only they have a crank that changes the deck height so there are no caster spacers or R-Pins. There are also sensors built in to the handle so there is no mechanical Operator Presence Control Switch.

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, I knew about them quite a while ago. And it caused me a very LARGE headache.

They were supposed to be released over the spring last year, then the summer, then last I heard, the release date was this past September. This was directly from the guy at Ferris who I spoke with on the phone while trying to sort a big mess out.

3. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen them and used them. They are a bit different than the old dualdrives(which I love). They have thumb controls too now and saftey switches that are built into the hand grips. The parking brake location is changed and I believe the deck is the same deck that is used on the IS1500.

4. ZER

ZER LawnSite Member

I used the new Ferris walkbehind at the EXPO and loved it. The thumb controls are only used as manual overrides over the cruise control for hillside use. Very well built machine and excellent on slopes.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at a 36" Ferris at our Dealers and it didn't look very well built compared to a Scag for example. I owned a 33" Troy Bilt several years ago and this unit had some of the same design features...i.e. the handles and the front wheel mounts. Obviously it is a lot heavier built than a Troy Bilt but it not a Scag or Toro or Exmark. But it cost a lot less than a Scag. I assume this competes with Quick and Billy goat. The biggest drawback to me is single hydro, not good on turning in grass and in ditches and hills.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

here-----------------------------

DualDrivefloater.jpg

7. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Like them or not, Ferris has always been heavy built. Not really fair to compare it to a Billy Goat.

Anybody know the weight? I'll bet they are close (if not more) to the Exmarks and Scags.

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

WOW I think those are really cool looking, but whats with the huge deck cover?

9. surgeon83

surgeon83 LawnSite Member

If I recall, I think the weight on the 61/17 was around 880lbs. Sounds high, but I thought I read that on the bulletin at one point.

Not heavy built? I admit there are lots of great wbs out there, many of which cost more than Ferris, but the Ferris has to be the beefiest wb I've ever seen. They use hydros so big they can't even fit them under the standard 16-or-so-inch-wide engine deck, which in my opinion is their best feature- wide wheelbase and hydros that are more responsive than any of the standard ones I've used with the hoses and such.

Everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion- if you ask 5 people here what the best mower is, there's a good chance that 5 different manufacturers will be represented.

10. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i think its the gas tank. u can see the cover on it.