Ferris Rider with mulch plate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AuburnGuy, Jul 15, 2004.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I just got my new ferris IS1000 21/48 Saturday. I love the rider. I got a mulch plate made for it. But, when i have it on i leave a line of clippings on that side of the mower. It does not do this on my walkbehind. I was wondering if there was something i could do. Thanks for the help guys.

2. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Do you have mulch blades???

3. AuburnGuy

Right now i have the highlifts that came on the mower. I will put gators on this weekend.

4. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

That should solve your prblem, but check your bafles.

5. AuburnGuy

you may have mis understood the question. I don't have a mulch kit. It's just a plate covering the discharge chute.

6. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

This could be the problem then. the gators will help but not completely. a mulch kit mite be the way to go:D

7. AuburnGuy

I can't use the mulch kit, because i need to bag some yards.

8. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

What you have is a chute blocker plate, nothing to do with mulching, this is to allow you to mow without spraying clippings everywhere. will leave a windrow.

Ferris has a baffle called Ninja, very similar to the popular Raptor, these help but to mulch properly you need the dedicated mulch kit, or double cut.

i looked at a is3000 last year, main reason I didn't buy one is at that time they didn't make a mulch kit, but said this blocking plate enabled propper mulching, which is b.s.

9. AuburnGuy

Tony - I thought the mulch kit would be baffles. or is the ninja just one baffle?

10. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Leaving grass when opening is closed will happen with any mower but after we put the MEG MO blades on we have not had to catch any clippings and we only close opening in places where we don"t want clipping thrown.