Ferris Running Low RPMs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TomberLawn, Jun 3, 2008.

1. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My Ferris dealer told me today that he got a service bulletin from Ferris saying that a lot of their Kawasaki equipped mowers weren't running the right RPM. He said they were doing about 3400 when they should be doing 3650. Ferris owners might want to check with their dealer to see if they can get theirs turned up. It should improve cut quality (higher blade speed) and ground speed.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2 of them here and they both turn a little slow. It's no biggie and it may be helping them get a little better fuel mileage.

3. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Turning the RPM up may actually help fuel usage if it keeps you from having to double cut. It would also give you more power in heavy grass, so the RPMs would drop less.

4. Big Red Ferris

Big Red Ferris LawnSite Member

i have 2 and my 08s got 58 hrs and its faster then my 06 with 98hrs idk they both have the same rpms tho i have a digital tach for setting up sleds and saws and small motors and i dont see much diffrence my dealers got my 06 running tad low at a ideal

5. Richard Martin

I'm only double cutting Bahia here and there. I also use my Dixie for those lawns and it is wound up when I cut them.

On Centipede lawns I often only have it cranked to 3200 RPM. It doesn't need any more than that. There is a noticeable difference in fuel useage from 3200 to 3700 RPM.

6. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, and a lot less air flow to cool off the engine.

7. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I turned mine up to 3790 she is hummin now.

8. Richard Martin

I've been running Kohler commercial engines since 1996 without any problems in all kinds of weather conditions. It'll be fine at 3200 RPM.