Ferris, Scag, or Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turftigerelite, Jun 30, 2007.

1. turftigerelite

turftigerelite LawnSite Member

im looking at adding a new rider to my fleet need to some info and opinions on some mowers. i know that scag has a rep. for having everything breaking down at once after you get up in hours. but their still great mowers. i know that exmark offers good speed and quality cut. i really dont know anything about Ferris except that their dual drive walk behind is imo the best on the market. their riders have some good features that i like but thats about all i know. im wondering if anyone here can let me in on their quality and which company would be a better choice.

2. koop

koop LawnSite Member

If it is a bigger mower, I like the Turf Tiger with the 61" velocity deck. Just seems like there built bigger badder tougher IMHO.

In the smaller models, I think they are built about the same.

Just curious, what do you consider to be "getting up in hours"? Ran into LCO on a Tiger with 3000 hours and no significant problems, maybe he's an exception.

Let us know what you decide.

3. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

Still diggin that tiger koop?

I love the velocity deck, and the way the mower is built, how tough it is, the seat, ....well I just love the turf tiger!...

koop-todd called the factory, no suspension seat until end of july:cry:

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Think I would rather sit on a steel milk crate than on a Scag all day

5. f150intally

f150intally LawnSite Member

6. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

Definately can't beat the ride of a Ferris and the cut quality is good too.

7. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go Scag all the way. Awsome built,cut,quality,resale value. I have never had any problems with either of mine and I`m on my 5th year. Have used Exmark and Ferris but the Ferris was an older model. Scag Turf Tiger hold hills better than both. As far as comparing ride the new Ferris probably rides better.

8. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

I was gonna attach a pic of me and my helper on my ferris and my TT...but ive already used it once, there in the picture forum..o well

...I would ride that scag before i would ride the ferris anyday of the week. Yes the ride is better, but its nothing to write home about, the cut however, is something to write to ferris about..TO FIX:hammerhead:

If its an extremely dry lot, with no weeds, and mainly lush fescue or something...the ferris will be pulled off the trailer, if its any other condition, the TT will be pulled off without thinking about it.

9. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Two TT's and love them both. Ferris didn't hold hills worth a darn, and cut wasn't anything to write home about. The eXmark was a close second as it held nicely, but it didn't have the HP I wanted this time around.

Very few complaints on the new Scag deck also.

A