Ferris SD Hydrowalk 36" - opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by digigrass, Jul 11, 2001.

1. digigrass

digigrass LawnSite Member
    from Maine

What are the opinions on the Ferris SD Hydrowalk 36" mower, are they a good machine? How are they for maintenance, reliability, durability?
    We would not be using it commercially, but cut about 1-1/2 acres a week on our own property. We have a bushhog on a Kubota 4wd tractor for our fields and would not be using the Ferris for rough stuff.
    We have a chance to buy a new one for $1800.00 from a local dealer that has had this one on display for a least 2-1/2 years (the engine sticker says manuf. 2/97)... They were trying to sell this for 3100.00, but the the commercial users have been buying the dual hydraulic motor version for just a little more. We have tried the machine and really like it. Is there any reason to avoid the Ferris line? We have tried the Troybuilt 33" and the Stealth 33" and they were both lacking in many ways.

2. $1800 for a new 36" hydro
    even though it won't turn on a dime it will pick it up

a new 36" hydro+ tax is around $4000 what do you think

I would buy it but I do not like Farris products

that mower is hydro with brake stearing so it runs like a belt drive with the no drive belt slip of a hydro

are you crazy! don't think twice! get it!!!!! it is better than a push mower and any of those smaller want to be comm. mowers out there

$1800 for a new 36" hydro! for the hrs your going to use it
    do you want to buy my Exmark Viking hydro 36" for $4000

does that answer your question

LGF (buy the way guys thanz for the new nick name):blob3:

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I used to have one of these in a Woods (Ferris clone) version. It is built like a tank and will last you forever. After you get used to the way it operates it is a great mower.

4. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

IF you have a GOOD dealer you'll be very happy with that mower. That was the first hydro made and is bullet proof, with a give away price!

5. steve

steve LawnSite Member

:blob3: :blob3: I'll buy it for that price if you don't!

6. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

Demoed the Ferris 36 hydro, didn't like the controls or the fixed deck (we cut short). Bought an Exmark 36 TTHP. Very happy with it. I believe they have a petrolium based hydro system which makes for higher & more expensive maintenance. Personally I never look for a deal when buying equipment. If you buy the best it will save you $$$$ in the long run. But for that price I may be tempted.

7. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

Calvin,

Either you didn't understand or just don't get it...Ferris developed the hydro walk behind. Other manufactures like Exmark followed suit and at a later date started to sell hdro units. As you know controls are an individual thing ...one likes this another likes that. Most of us in the lower 48 don't cut grass short (under three inches) and therefore a floating deck isn't alway needed. This isn't exactly a white elephant that he's looking at!

8. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

Finecut,

What don't I understand or don't get? He asked for opinions on the 36 Ferris hydro. Sorry I didn't like it as much as the Exmark. What does the fact that Ferris developed the hydro WB have to do with how well they have kept up with the competition? In my opinion their hydro WB's are slightly outdated compared to some competing brands.
    Still, if your on a budget, it sounds like a hell of a deal.

9. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

I ve been looking for a w/b for a few months. I was dead set on an exmark metro. I had enough money for the one i wanted. I went to the dealer and looked at it. While i was there i saw a toro, i asked him about it he said it was a loaner when people brought in there mowers. It is a 12.5 hp with a 36" deck. It had very low hours. i asked him what he wanted for it he said $1400. To make a long story short i walked out with the toro and saved about 2 grand. I have had no problems with it yet. So if i where you i would go for it, it sounds like you are getting one hell of a deal!!!!!

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Finecut wrote:
    Either you didn't understand or just don't get it...Ferris developed the hydro walk behind. Other manufactures like Exmark followed suit and at a later date started to sell hdro units

While it is true that Ferris released the first hydro walkbehind there are a few facts that go along with it.

The walkbehind that Ferris developed was a single transaxle drive machine. The original transaxles were Sauer-Sundstrand units and were bullet-proof. I can't remember what transaxles they're using now but they're not Sauer-Sundstrands. Ferris still builds a transaxle machine and it's the least expensive hydro walkbehind on the market.

The rest of the industry uses dual hydro machines which were developed by a guy in Florida and patented by Dane Scag. Ferris also makes a dual hydro machine and it's lineage is based on the Scag mower and not the previous Ferris machines.