Ferris Single drive vs Dual drive???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, May 25, 2006.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Can anyone explain to me what the difference between the two wbs??

Which would be a better performer??

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Dual drive has one individual pump per rear wheel vs. single that uses just one for both wheels...no comparison in performance. All I run is dual drive Jeremy.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

So they basically operate the same way, as far as controls, just that it's got two pumps??

I've picked up some more accounts where I need to get a walk-behind again, after I've gotten rid of all of mine over the years, it's just getting to the point where push mowing the few that I had that were too small for my 60" is counter-productive.

I really don't want to go back to a belt drive unit, whether Toro, Exmark, Ferris, Lesco, whatever, and my Kubota dealer I deal with sells Ferris as well, so I'm SOMEWHAT leaning that way, although I'm going to try one out for a week first.

4. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

you cant control the drive on each tire w/ the single hydro drive. you have to steer it yourself whereas the dual drive you control each wheel with the handlebars.

5. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Not an expert, but I just picked up a new, leftover Ferris SD and I can tell you it is an excellent performer. The SD's have been discountinued, so their availability is limited, which is unfortunate, because they are a nice compromise between belts and dual hydros. Separate brakes allow you to control the drive tires separately, so you do get more maneuverability than you do with Ferris's new Hydrocut. There really isn't much muscling around you have to do with the old SD.