ferris/snapper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hollis Maintenance, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Hollis Maintenance

Hollis Maintenance LawnSite Member

Does anybody have opinions or own a ferris or snapper comm. walk behind? They are very closely built. Is it the same machine? I have a dealer 5 miles away from me, but have not gone yet.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What size deck are you talking about? We run 52 and 61 inch dual drive hydro WB's made by Ferris. I don't believe though Snapper makes them that big.

3. Armando Conti

Armando Conti LawnSite Member

I don't know where they are made, if here are any common parts, but they definitely are different designs in many ways.

Jumping right out is the use of integrated transaxles on the Ferris dual hydros where Snapper uses the more typical wheel motors. Controls are different, handle assembly totally different (tubular on Snapper, boxed section on Ferris). No speculation on which might be better, but they are certainly different.

4. Hollis Maintenance

I was looking at the 36" deck. Whats a good price for the ferris w/b 36 single hydro?

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Around $2700 I believe.

6. Hollis Maintenance

Thats a pretty good price. thank you rod. i might go demo one..

7. Hollis Maintenance

hey armando thanks for the info....

8. Armando Conti

Armando Conti LawnSite Member

You're welcome. If you demo make sure it is on a hill (if you plan on using it on fairly steep hills). Like a car without posi, only one wheel will pull in the slippery going. Moist grass on a hill will be a formula for skidding. Great mower for its purpose though.

9. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I've read that before about the single hydro on a wet hill. Week before last I had to mow in a light rain going across a hill and had no problem. I had to ride the uphill brake to hold a straight line.(Well, sorta straight) Gravity wanted to turn the machine down the hill. I didn't have any problem with it slipping. It may not have been as steep as the hills others have had problems with.
    I'll be mowing that one again this week and I wouldn't mind a light drizzle while I'm doing it. Felt good! :D