Ferris Spindle Removal

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wkeith1986, Jul 18, 2005.

1. wkeith1986

wkeith1986 LawnSite Member
    from KC,MO

I managed to bend my spindle shaft. I have located the part and have it all ready to come off. But I cannot get the spindle off the deck. How do I remove the spindle from the pulley? I see in the parts manual there is a 'key' but I am not sure how to remove it, or if that is even necessary. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

The dealership that I worked for in the past recently took on the Ferris line. From what I recall the pulley has a set screw. Loosen the set screw and use a three arm puller to remove the pulley from the shaft. The key may stay in the pulley or may remain in the key slot in the shaft. This should do it if I'm correct on the assembly.

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly what he said. Soak the thing overnight in some good penetrating fluid. The set screw is tight up against the 1/4" keyway. Use the 3-legged puller to remove the pulley. Then take out the bolts that hold the spindle to the deck. When re-installing everything, use some "Never Seize" paste on the pullies and the bolts, that way next time will be a charm. Any problems, just come back and ask again.