Ferris Stripe Kit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daves Propert Maintenance, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Daves Propert Maintenance

Daves Propert Maintenance LawnSite Member
    from USA

I am considering the purchase of a stripe kit for my Ferris IS2000Z. I have looked at rollers, and they look like they will catch on turns if the operator is not careful. I feel that a rubber flap system will bend and flex over uneven terrain better and won't catch as much in the turns. I want to have a reliable rubber flap system, and Ferris makes one for their riders. If the Ferris one is no good, then I will be using heavy duty mud flaps to create my patterns, with some trial and error in the design.

Is it worth the hassle to make my own?

If anyone uses this striper, does it work well, or would I be better off making my own flap system?

Thanks in advance.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Why do ya need one in the first place?

3. Daves Propert Maintenance

from USA

like i said, i am considering it. I haven't gotten to use my new Ferris yet, and I am just looking to see what's out there and what works best. If the Ferris stripes well on its own, then I won't even bother with a stripe kit.

4. rodfather

My company field tested a IS2000 for 2 months last summer. We did it for Turf Magazine (the write up was in the September issue). To be honest, I thought the stripe it left was just fine. Then again, I don't get real anal over stripes (nor do 99.99%) of our customers.

5. Daves Propert Maintenance

from USA

I've been looking for that issue of Turf. Think it got thrown out at some point. I have the same feeling with the stripes, but if a potential customer sees me working and likes the stripes enough to sign on as a customer, then it would be worth it for me to have standout stripe patterns. Don't you agree?

6. rodfather

Sure...but in 14 full time years of this, I have NEVER had a customer (out of hundreds and hundreds) mention anything to me about stripes. And I mean absolutely nothing. 99% could care less.

7. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I know where Rod is coming from, as a general rule Ferris mowers stripe quite well. Rollers have a tendency to stripe better than a flap type attachment. From what I have seen of the Ferris striping attachment you could probably make your own for 1/3 the cost of purchasing theirs.

Maybe we can get some responses here from people using kits such as the Big League. Do they have the tendency to tear the turf?

8. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I made one for my 1500z, out of some good rubber gasket sheets two fold and a piece of aluminum to hold flat. It stretches from tire to tire. The machine striped well before but now it is matched to the tire inprints more to the rear of the machine. Work well cost about $ 12.00 and 1 hour to make and fit.

9. Daves Propert Maintenance

from USA

I want the high definition stripes to get into the upper class neighborhoods in the area. If I owned a home in a high class neighborhood, I would want a pristene lawn with a clean look. If I hired someone to do my lawn care for me, I would expect good striping patterns. This may be why I maintain my own lawn. I must agree though, none of my current customers care about the stripe that the mower leaves. I want to add one just to enhance the look even more. If it is cheap, then I will look into making one myself. I take pride in my work, and the stripes that I leave satisfy me and impress my neighbors and friends, so why not make them look better than they already do?

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I use a heavy(designed for semi truck use) rubber mudflap on my walk behind.

Stripes pretty good, but probably not with the definition you're looking for. I don't think you will get it with a flap, you will need to use a roller.

Have you considered the big league stripe kits? They seem to produce very well-defined results and the prices seem reasonable. It seems that they would work well because they are made up of several individual wheels, hence less chance of turf damage when turning.