Ferris suspension ZTRs, why would you not buy a suspension mower in 07+?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I know most of us are somewhat brand loyal, or some can ONLY buy what is local to them.

Aside from that, has anyone test drove a newer Ferris suspension ZTR mower and "not" liked it? Why would you make a future purchase of a zero turn machine if it was similarly priced and yet lacked suspension features found on the Ferris mowers?

Ive been on a few different 2006-2007 models. All were similar in ride quality to my 1000z 05 Ferris mower. I guess most of us don't know what were missing until we try one out :p

My is1500z mower i got last month by far is the most easy going on the back and rest of the body. I get off that and get onto my 1000z and hit a descently bumpy lawn, and i almost curse myself out ready to trade back in a machine that only has 160hrs on it, but was just paid off.

Ferris does free demos where you can take the machine for a day and try it for yourself/company. I know theres plenty of good brands out there, but the quality of ride compared to a non suspension machine is like saying you love your John Deere Zero turn so much that you were willing to pay $8,000 even though it had a 12hp motor and 30" deck even though there were models with retractible decks that could cut 30" wide or 80" wide for the same exact price. :dancing: Unless some other brands were to come out with full 4 wheel suspension, i cant see ever buying another brand zero turn. Two months ago, i would still be willing to look at several other brands for future machines.
  2. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

I agree 110%. Great ride. Your still going to feel the bumps just a hell of alot smoother. When im feeling the bumps just dont understand how you guys put up with it, and could just imagine how it would b on a z. with no susp.
  3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

One reason I can think of to not get one?

They cut like garbage.

(Flame suit on!)
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

you've owned how many?
  5. MowMeDown

MowMeDown LawnSite Member

Yeah I have a bad back, and it was a key part in the decision. Its not like the ride is on glass, but it sure makes it a lot easier to take. That being said, there are a lot of other factors to consider. These mowers are all so close that it is often the one little thing that matters to you most in terms of convenience that sways the decision. FWIW I think my 1500Z cuts pretty darn flat. No stringers, great dispersion on discharge and I can really fly when I need to speed wise.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

They still are for 07:cry:
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Good morning Mr Rodfather:waving: happy august*trucewhiteflag*
  8. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

I don't understand the cuts like garbage comment. I have a IS2000Z and cut bermuda, fescue and weedy crap. The only negative about the ferris is that it can outrun the deck if the growth is very heavy because you don't realize how fast you are going since the ride is so smooth.
  9. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I have bought one this year the ride is awesome. Now that said here is what I do not like. The blade is the same height as the bottom of the deck, The stripe from the factory is not like that of other mowers, There is alot of blow out from the front of the deck, and to service this machine stinks.
    My review of the 2000 is, I feel that ferris put to much technology in the suspention wich I love, and not enough in the cutting performance. The speed is awesome and the cutting is ok. If you have a lot of acres to cut the ferris is for you. There are a few other machines that cut better but there is nothing that is as smooth or comfortable.
  10. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

they cut great just won't discharge wet grass