Ferris: the heaviest mid mount in the industry?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Mar 18, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I was looking at the specs on the Ferris Zs. The IS5100Z 33.5/72 weighs well over 2200#!! What was Ferris thinking when they designed this mower?? Other mowers in its class weigh 500-600# less. Talk about a rutting machine!! :hammerhead:

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

3. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I guess everyone's afraid to say anything. My 1000lb lightning gives me enough rutting and getting stuck, I couldn't imagine a 2200lb machine with my 215lb butt on it....lol.

4. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

wow that is a small car!!

5. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

Have you seen the mower and the engine in there? and the suspensions? that's why it has to weigh that much plus the deck is thicker and stronger than a tank!

6. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

The Bad Boy has a 35hp Cat diesel with a 5 gauge deck and 4 rail frame system, one of the toughest in the industry, and it is only showing between 1500lb to 1700lbs!!

7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

well i have never used a Ferris.Don't no of a dealer in my area

8. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Lakeland Power Equipment right on 98 just as you get into Lakeland sells them. I haven't stopped in there but they always have a bunch sitting out front.

9. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Wow, at that weight the only thing you would be able to mow and not rut it up would be frickin pavement.

10. PTW

PTW LawnSite Member

Wow, I thought I had the heaviest mid-mount out there. Kubota ZD 331 weighs 1812# dry. I was initially worried about the weight rutting and such but the weight is displaced very well appearently we haven't had anymore rutting problems on lawns as any other 60" mid-mount. We do practice changing our mowing patterns every other service visit to reduce any amount of rut compacting that may occur.

Did I mention: I love my Kubota ZD 331. No other compares IMO.