1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ferris,Toro or John Deere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milkie62, Apr 11, 2008.

1. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

Have to buy a zero turn by end of the month.$9000.00 price range.Demo'd Ferris IZ3000 and like it.Mowed my 4 acre lawn in approx 1 hr 45 min compared to almost 6hrs with my 316 JD.Any pros and cons anyone had with the 3 mentioned.Dealer support is good for all 3 in my area.Ferris is 0 % for 3 yrs,JD 0% 2yrs.Do not think Toro is offering anything.Will be getting a 60" regardless of brand.Have a 44" wb Toro already with bagger.HELP---which one ????????
  2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We just got Toro Z550 with a 28 Kawasaki for $7559 otd and Z 580 w/ 29 DFI for $10079 otd They are really well built and good mowers. I think the other two are excellent mowers also. Look at what engine options, hydros, stuff like that. A friend of mine runs Ferris and the cut is not as nice, but the ride is smooth. He does have to rebuild his shocks every year though. I would demo each in your type of grass to see how it does and go from there.
  3. milkie62

That is what I am hearing that the Ferris cut is not the best---anyone else ??? I did see that Ferris has a mulching baffle kit.I wonder if this would help ??
  4. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get a 757 Deere ZTrak. It should be under $9K and parts in stock or next day....guaranteed. The 7 IRON II cut is superb in the industry.:usflag:Obviously, they know they're stuff since they've been around for more than 150 years....
  5. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

2nd the deere... even my little Z425 was an awesome machine... the new Z820A's are built so tough it's not even funny.
  6. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed a 3100 after I bought my 1500, just out of curiosity. It's a really nice machine. My Ferris cuts really well. I guess it may depend on the type of grass. Sometimes when I'm mowing weedy grass, a few stray ones won't get cut, but this is usually just an indication that I need to sharpen the blades. My local Deere dealer is now selling Ferris mowers 4:1 over Deeres, so that ought to tell you something.
  7. milkie62

I guess since I have used the Ferris I am partial to it.Deep down though my blood is GREEN.The dial on the deere for height seems funky compared to the solid pin adjustment on the Ferris.But I think if the deere had suspension I would be getting that..
  8. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

The height adjustment on Deere ZTrak's are awesome! Deck all the way up or set it to the height you want and go. No messing around with putting pins in little holes and then lowering the deck. ZTraks keep it simple with one step...
  9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

That little dial is actually a great feature. It held up commercially for us too.
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard the same several times on lawnsite but i have no fist hand experience with the cut.