Ferris v. eXmark (belt)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stryper, Apr 29, 2005.

1. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

I did read the previous Ferris v. eXmark thread, but that was specific to hydros, and I just can't go that route right now...

So, I think I've finally narrowed down my search to these two machines:

48" Metro Dealer quote $2899, list $3299, will throw in Gators (eXmark version), oil filter, belt, and upgrade to ECS controls.

and

48" UltraBelt GD Dealer quote $2899, no mention of list price, no freebies.

Financing is the same on both, dealer support appears to be relatively equal, though maybe leaning a bit toward Ferris.

So, any thoughts on which is the better deal? (Seems kinda obvious on the surface.) Are there any significant differences in the cut quality, striping, or serviceability? Each dealer obviously favors what he sells; as I am new to this, I haven't a clue which is better. Is the ECS that much better of a control setup, or is it more of a gimmick? (I'm only going at this as a small part-timer right now, doing 1/2 acre residentual lots.) Will scalping be a real issue with the fixed 48" decks?

Thanks again for the input.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I REALLY like my metro. I personally like it better then my previous hydro... (and the hydro was GREAT) I would aim for the metro.

3. lawncare3

Btw the eXmark stripes the BEST it's striping abilities are up there with bobcat. I didn't even have to add a kit. :)

4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Speak for your self...... The Exmark I think is lighter which might help in some cases. To me, the ECS controls are not all that great. There are basically economical pistols grips. I have long arms and prefer the standard pistol grips to the ECS. Does the Ferris GD have bigger tires then the Exmark?

5. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Tires are the same, according to the specs

6. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a brand new Toro Proline 36" w/13 HP Kawi engine (same as metro) and I love it already! It has a quality of cut and stripe that are right up there with my Bob-Cat mower (I love my Bob-Cat mower!!!). A friend of mine has a 48" Ferris Ultrabelt and he seems to like it. His Ferris' cut and stripe are pretty good, but not as good as my Bob-Cat or Toro Proline. IMO, I would go with the Exmark Metro, I think you will be quite pleased with it!

7. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

the exmark metro stripes the best???? --- i dont know about that!
    so many on this site think they have the best "stripe" when all you see is the two tire marks. a good striping mower will lay down the grass for the entire width of the deck and form a true stripe.

if you did a search on here for "exmark w/b stripe pics"(without a striping kit) you would not find too much because they do not stripe well enough for owners to show off. if u searched "ferris stripes", you would find so many proud owners posting pics of stripes. see for yourself

both are great machines. if you are going for the best striper, go ferris.

to all exmark w/b owners, if you have pics of stripes lets see them and prove me wrong

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That's high. I got the (new) 2005 48" Metro with ECS for $2550.

Also he really isn't "upgrading" yuo to the ECS controls because starting this model year (2005) that's all that now comes on the eXmark WB's...so he's semi-scamming you on that one.

9. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Okay, point well taken...that's why I'm here asking. I do have another eXmark dealer in the area, so I will double-check his offer when I'm ultimately ready to buy. I've also got another Ferris guy close, so I can square off the two Ferris dealers too. Still, I'll end up going with the best after-purchase support I can find, whichever machine I chose, even if it means an extra hundred or two out of my pocket.

10. lawncare3

Here is a stripe from a metro 32"

Sorry if they were not so great (off to the right)

It was my first mow of the season.

800x600.jpg