Ferris v. Simplicity (Residential)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ty Webb, May 14, 2006.

1. Ty Webb

Ty Webb LawnSite Member

Looking at Zero Turn Mowers and comparing the Simplicity and Ferris models. I have been looking at the IS 1500Z Ferris and Citation from Simpicity. Other than Kaw vs. Briggs, are there any other differences? (Besides color of course) In my area, finding that the Ferris is as cheap as the Simplicity.

Thanks for any help...

Ty

2. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Striping roller on the Simplicity...if that's important to you.

3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Didn't you mean IS5000Z? If so, that is a LARGE mower !!!!!:usflag:

4. Ty Webb

Ty Webb LawnSite Member

No, looking at the IS 1500Z and the Simplicity Citation. They come in 48" and 52" decks. The engines seem to be the only real difference to me. I can't see any other difference. The only thing I think I see is the little fans over the Hydros. One seems to have a shroud and one does not.

Simplicity has a 21 horse/48" and 23 horse 52" that are both B&S Vanguard. The Ferris has a 19 KAW/44" that I am not considering and a 21 horse KAW/48" and a 25 horse KAW/52".

I am looking at a new purchase and not used. I don't believe they make the IS 5000Z any longer. It is now the IS 5100Z.

Thanks,

Ty

5. Spratz86

Spratz86 LawnSite Member

I bought the Ferris 1500z last autumn for my place. I mow about 2.5 acres for a yard, and another 3 or so acres of field. I love the Ferris, but what sold me on it was the suspension - that field is pretty rough!

I also like the Kawi engine - it's STRONG! Doesn't bog down in the field, even when mowing up steep hills.

The best thing you can do is to have them both demo'd on your property. That should also give you a feel for the dealers; even as a home owner you'll want to consider the dealer support.

6. Ty Webb

Ty Webb LawnSite Member

My thing is what is the difference in them.... just the KAW v. the B&S? I would spend a few dollars more and get a Kawasaki over a Briggs unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't. My Simplicity dealer is an hour away now and I would have to find a new dealer either way. Is it worth trying both if they are exactly the save except engine. I seem to recall that a few years ago Simplicity was putting their deck on the Ferris design and Ferris kept the same Ferris deck on their design. Now it seems to be the same deck, same seat, same everything except the engine. I just wonder if they are different in some way that I am not seeing?

Thanks for the help,

Ty:drinkup:

7. landscape guy

landscape guy LawnSite Member

I have never tried the simplicity zero steer, but i have a 27hp diesel simplicty tractor with 5 foot deck and loader and i am impressed on the construction. Now about the ferris i have is1000 going on the third season and its a great running machine very dependable.

8. ocelot27

ocelot27 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I would check out the Scag Z-Cat and the ExMark Laser-Z as well - both great commecial grade ZTR's in your price range. I've been seeing ads on TV for the ExMark Laser-Z - so they're actively marketing that mower for home owner use. Not sure how many sales they'll make considering you can go to Home Depo and buy a home owner grade Deere for $1300.

9. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I would guess that the Ferris has a better (commercial) warranty over the simplicity.

I also have the IS1500Z and love it. I am also using a Wright Sentar, and it is good on hills. But I use both mowers depending on the job.

Tim

10. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The Simplicity is made by Ferris and both companies are owned by Briggs and Stratton.

I would take the Kaw engine over the Briggs if the prices are comparable.

Good luck!