Ferris verse Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RandyS, Mar 2, 2005.

1. RandyS

RandyS LawnSite Member

Went shopping for a new mower. Ferris 3000 series with 60" deck, 27 Kohler with a dump from the seat vac. It's a leftover, only a few changes from last year.
    Exmark Lazer Z XS series with 72" deck, 31 horse Briggs, dump from the seat vac.
    About $2,000 more for the Exmark and higher finance, 9.8%, Ferris 3.9%.
    Exmark dealer more convenient, have not dealt with either before.
    Any opinions on which way to go? Thank you.

2. ZER

ZER LawnSite Member

I would go with the Ferris; the ride is worth it!!

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

2 very different machines (60" vs. 72"). One has a much larger deck while the other has independent suspension.

4. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

ExMark.....60 or 72" deck.....great machines..awesome dealer/manufacturer support!

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We were pricing some 72" machines today, The XS seems to get the nod for our uses but the Lazer 28 horse EFI is a close second. The 28 efi will keep up with the 31 horse XS do to less weight on the standard lazer frame but I'm liking the heavier frame and bigger wheel motors etc.

Can't help ya with the ferris, that's rodfathers dept, but the xs is a helluva machine.

6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

One question though, are you really serious about a vac on a 72"?

7. rodfather

Nice for leaves Dave...I have a vac on 2 of our Toro Groundsmasters and they're 72" decks too btw.

8. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Good to know, how well does it pick up?
    As well as a 60 or 52 deck?

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'd go with the Ferris. The independent suspension really makes a big difference in the ride and the cut. The deck is mounted to the suspension a- arms so the deck will not bounce when going fast over rough ground and it follows the ground better for a better cut. They ride great. when you hit a bump you can still feel it but its smooth like in a vehicle so there's no need to slow down.

10. rodfather

Just as good as our 52's and 61's IMO...have side mounted 6 hp B&S pony motors to help with the lift and shred.