1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ferris vs. Exmark ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tschremp, Apr 15, 2002.

1. tschremp

tschremp LawnSite Member
    from PA

I am debating between a Ferris 1000Z and Exmark Laser Z. The Ferris seems to be about $1k cheaper for a comparable unit, but the dealer is 20 miles away vs. 5 miles for Exmark. I am also a little concerned about resale on the Ferris.

Does anyone have epxerience with the Ferris ZTRs? I have a 48" Ferris single hyrdro walkbehind which has been great, but not sure that translates into the ZTR lineup.

Your comments/feedback is appreciated - looking to make a decision in next week or so.
  2. richm23

richm23 LawnSite Member

I had a very similar debate earlier this year. I chose the ferris over the exmark and am very happy with my decision so far. The cut is fine. I have a ferris walk behind also and am very comfortable with my dealer, that ended up being my final decision.
    If anything happens with either machine i can go to the same dealer. One stop shopping.
    Did you demo each of them? 20 miles really isn't that far.

By the way where are you located in Pa?
  3. tschremp

tschremp LawnSite Member
    from PA

I am in Eastern PA - in the Philadelphia suburbs.

I didnt demo the units yet - I plan to later this week. Just made some initial visits to the showrooms to get pricing and brochures.

Which Ferris did you get? Curious what you ended up paying, pricing should be similar this side of the state I would think.
  4. richm23

richm23 LawnSite Member

I got 1000 z 52" 23 hp kaw I walked out the door for $6804.00
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

dont know the ferris . do know it can be very good and still not be as good as the lazer. good luck
  6. woodman32

woodman32 LawnSite Member

I have the 1000z with the 48" deck. Bought it in the spring last year. Ran it the hole season not a problem with it. Love the machine. Asked Ferris for a parts manual and they sent me one for free. Dealer was great to work with when I bought it also. 20 miles is not to far since it sounds like you will be sving a good chunk of money.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search, I know we had this discussion last year and 1 very unhappy Ferris user. If I remember correctly she got rid of it after all the problems she had with it.