Ferris vs. Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iski3d, Aug 12, 2001.

1. iski3d

iski3d LawnSite Member
    from NH

Well im looking at ztr's and pretty much have it narrowed down between the 60" ferris is 4000 w/the 27 hp lc kawi or the 60" exmark lc 27 hp kawi. The Ferris is 1450 lbs, while the exmark is 1200. I think the weight would make the ferris ride better, plus it looks to be a very tough machine. Then again, Exmark has a very good reputation here on lawnsite. Has anyone used the ferris? Specifically, why do you guys like the exmarks so much? Thanks

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

cant say about the ferris but the good rep that exmark has is
    well earned. it is made plenty stout so weight does not automatically mean tougher machine.later now

3. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

I seem to remember other such posts you have made of this nature, involving Ferris equipment...you need to do a search. After you have done a search I don't think you'll need to ask any further in regard to Ferris equipment. There have been many of us who presently own Ferris equipment and have expressed our opinion in regard to their support...which seems to be non existent!

4. Tony

Tony LawnSite Member

Exmark is one of the leading commercial manufacturers that still listens to the consumer. Most manufacturers build what they think you want but they probably didn't ask. I personally have a good friend that worked for Ferris and I asked him why their control levers on the walk behind were flat metal instead of curved like most other manufacturers, his reply was thats the way we make them. Sad to say but I don't like the way it feels in my hand so I don't sell their product. I believe you can talk to Lenny at Exmark and he'll tell you that what the customer wants is what Exmark wants to build. You can't get to be #1 by doing it your way. Concerning weight, the heavier you make it the more conpacted your ground becomes. Manufactuers try to build it stronger not heavier. Example Echo SRM2601 trimmer vs Echo SRM2100, the 2601 has a anodized aluminum tube from the engine to the gearbox thus making it stronger and lighter while the 2100 has a regular aluminum tube making it heavier and less expensive. In other words buy the Exmark. Tony

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Question, Have you looked into the Hustler brand? After a long and exhausted search myself, and with the help of the expo in Louisville, it's Hustler only for me! I met the owner/president and his son. Both are very nice people, and the whole attitude with any others who work there are very different from other manufacturers. They want our opinion, questions, and suggestions. They will listen to us and help with any problem or situation. Give them an honest look and I think you will see what I am talking about. But, above all things, that I have said or others, only go with the machine who's dealer treats you right. You may have the best machine in the world, but with a terrible dealer it's all for nothing. Support is a must. Good luck and go get that new machine!

6. iski3d

iski3d LawnSite Member
    from NH

thanks guys, uhh, decisions...decisions:)

7. Both are a great machine .I have the new ferris your talking about.It has been great to me.And my dealer is a very good friend so I dont have any problems.The exmark you know its a toro. Great machine but one thing to compare is the frame and the welding on the frame.CrazyGator is on to something with Hustler .They make a great machine and are really growing.The exmark will be alot faster than the ferris but not as fast as the hustler.Hope this helps you out .But with any of the three you cant lose out

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Toro is a Exmark, is more like it.

Look at the Hustler !!!
    :rolleyes:

9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with mowerconsultant, go demo the Hustler and you will not need to look any further. Overbuilt machine for durability, and a first class bunch of guys running the manufacturing.

10. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Hey, johnhenry - I do not own either of these mowers, but the Ferris 4000 literature sez it will do 11 mph - are you sure the Exmark is a "lot faster"?