Ferris walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tocs93, Apr 3, 2005.

1. tocs93

tocs93 LawnSite Member

Does anybody own a new Ferris Hydrowalk DD walk behind? I was considering purchasing a 48 in. model this year. They seem to be pretty solid machines.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We've had around 12 or so over the last 11 years...48's, 52's, and 61's. Very reliable machines

3. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Same as rod father. Employees have had an easier time learning them than many of the other machines.

Jason

4. chaduco19

chaduco19 LawnSite Member
    from midwest

hey rod or lawnsrus.inc could you tell me why ferris goes with the eaton transaxel as opposed to the hydro pumps and wheel motors? i realize there both forms of a hydro setup.

5. rodfather

Dunno...they have been using them as long as I can remember. I remember having them on my old 61" and then 72" Ferris 3 wheelers (now that is going back) a long time. BTW, I think it has something to do with the warranty that Eaton supplies with them...just guessing though.

6. AdamCByrd

AdamCByrd LawnSite Member

Rodfather, why bother with a walk behind as big as 61 or 72 inches? Why not just use a ZTR? Was this before ZTRs were as common?

7. rodfather

You misunderstood...they were 3-wheelers that you rode. But, we do have a number of 61" WB's with velkes...my favorites.

8. rodfather

I can put a 61" WB (with or without a velke) where no Z (no matter what the size) would even think to go. Period

9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I looked at some Ferris mowers the other day. They seemed very well built. There is a smaller dealer near me that carries Simplicity and he's considering getting a couple of Ferris units in. Hope he does I'd love to try one out.

10. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

It has 2 self contained eaton transmissions.