1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ferris walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dpullen4, Apr 16, 2005.

1. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Does anyone have any input on the quality of Ferris walk behinds? I'm looking to purchase a 36" walk behind, mostly just for my home of about a half acre. I may pick up some jobs on the side in the future, but it will only be for just some cash on the side. I'm currently using a 21" Honda for my yard and looking to take a good chuck out of the time needed to mow my yard and improve the quality of cut.

I'd like to stay within the range of $1500-$2000 and have considered the Quick 36 as well. I really want to stay away from used equipment as I don't want to take the chance on it not lasting like something new would. Any suggestions?
  2. E.L.I.T.E.LawnCare

E.L.I.T.E.LawnCare LawnSite Member

just picked up a ferris 32" hydro walkbehind and a ferris 52" zero degree rider havent used either cant wait
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Ferris SD 36 and on certain yards where there is a lot of backing up it is great. Plenty of power and the cut is as good as any I've used before. If you have hilly yards don't even bother. A belt drive is far easier to use on hills. The SD (much like the Quick 36 I'm sure) uses an "open" differential just like a car. And just like a car when you need traction the most the wheel with the least amount of traction spins. If you use the mower on any kind of hill over 20 degrees and try to cut sideways across the hill the weight transfer will tend to make the side of the mower that is up hill lighter. When it does this the up hill tire gets the power because there isn't as much weight (traction) on it. It then spins and the mower doesn't go anywhere. Using a sulky or Velke with these mowers is a exercise in frustration too. In order to turn these mowers you must push on the handlebars. When I'm on the Velke it is damn near impossible to do any kind of sharp turn without exerting a lot of force. Walking behind the mower and doing sharp turns isn't hard at all, it's just when riding behind the mower. Also the weight on the front of these mowers is minimal. When you steer the mower up hill the front end pops right up making cutting up hill impossible.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've had like 13 or so Ferris WB's in the past 10 years...extremely reliable machines IMO.
  5. HiTECH

HiTECH LawnSite Member

i use to use toro walk behinds, but switched to ferris this year, and wouldnt buy any thing a ferris wb now. It starts on the first pull, cuts excellent and makes the best stripes without even having to put a striping kit on it. The wide stance of the rear tires lets it hold hills much better than any other mower out there also.
  6. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Only 13 Ferris WB's in 10 years and that's a good thing? :confused: :confused: :confused:
  7. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

Ferris makes a very good mower. I've had 3 2 Sd and 1 DD. Both very well built. You won't be disappointed.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It's called company growth...DUH :rolleyes:
  9. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I really enjoyed using my Ferris DD 48. The cut/stripe was very good.
  10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

$ 1500- $ 2000 for a 36"? You can get only a belt unit but no chance on the Hydro stuff. These guys say their Ferris is great like that and like this, they mean mostly HYDRO and a used "working" one can run you at least $ 2500. I wouldn't buy a belt Ferris WB, sweat like pig and drop dead home wanted to die on bed or sofa cutting only 3 lawns...a day.
    Why not save/spend more on a Hydro one and you can make serious money without getting beaten up so bad like "belt"? (Imagine cutting under 90 plus degree heat with a belt 36" WB @ 3 pm...oh lord).
    I would save/spend more money and get the right mower.
    Stander, eXmark ECS, twin hydro, have you looked? They way better than archaic pistol grip.
    good luck.