ferris walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gdguth, May 17, 2006.

1. gdguth

gdguth LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Today i got an offer on a four year old ferris walkbehind. I didn't see it yet, but the man said that it was a 36 inch belt drive with a 12 hp kaw. engine. He also said that he used a sulky with it, but that seems to be a small engine for using a sulky. I am not sure how many hours, but he was asking $1000. I don't know much about ferris and was wondering if this is a good deal. Any imput would be appreciated.
  2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

IMO I would stay away from it. A friend had one 36 inch and it was one problem after another for him He finally got rid of it and got an exmark. It had transmission, belts and engine issues is what he told me.
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 36"Ferris & 2 48" Ferris Belt Drives/ Never had a single problem with any of them. Granted I try to use my riders as much as possible so they only have about 300 - 600 hours on each.
  4. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I'f I were you Ide take a good look at it, run it for a while before you buy it maybe for 20 mins on and off a couple times, then let it sit for an hour or two, if you can, then ispect all working parts and check for leaks, if every thing is all gravy buy it. The seller should have no problem letting you do all that if you are serious and have cash to shut him up with!