Ferris Walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JRSlawn, Aug 20, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Today I saw a guy cutting a local restraunt with a Ferris Walk behind with a lesco sulky. This guy was in and out in no time. I run a belt drive metro right now and am amazed at the difference. I think I may soon be getting a ferris. What do you guys think of them?

Thnaks,

Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've run nothing but Ferris WB's (48's, 52's, and 61"s) for the last 10 years full time. We love them and find them extremely reliable. Most guys on LS will tell you Jeff I am their biggest fan with like 15 or 20 of them so far.

Can email me at rspronck@aol.com or send a pm if you have any questions about them.

3. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine is great! I had to replace a hydro but thats shortly after I got the mower. The seller must of had a leak cause i wondered why one pump had twice as much oil........ I replaced the hydro myself (about $600- J Thomas) and i haven't had any problems. Very solid machine but heavy. I had to reinforce the gate on my trailer cause the cage material was bending. i don't see to many people with them.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80636

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80180

These are a few pics of my Ferris and stripe kit.

4. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

ive had a 4ferris 48" dual drive hydro since 1995 and for the most part i havent had any major repairs needed on it.
    i love it and would highly recommend one.

5. TLC Darrin

TLC Darrin LawnSite Member

We've always used ferris hydrowalks...very tough(and yes heavy) but I've had good luck with them. Just bought a new 23hp dualdrive 61"..love it!! As far as I'm concerned..wb mowers..with a velke on the back..are the most versatile machine you can have.You can raise the deck instantly when needed to avoid obstacles..you can get in under trees without taking a branch in the face..and blade changes are a breeze! Easy to use and maintain.

6. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

excellent point u raised, i agree the walkhind with a velke IS the most versitile machine to have and a ferris is my #1 choice.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I had a 48" ferris hydrowalk SD. Great machine built like a tank, because they are heavy. The Single drives are very safe. The machine can stop faster than you can. When I bought it, the guy told me to run it up to max speed and let go. Lets just say I ate the controls.

If I ever bought another hydro walk behind it would be a ferris. I wish now I didn't sell it. But I replaced it with a stander. Their belt drives are also very nice.

8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Jeff Smith, you are comparing things that are not comparable, an eXmark Metro with a Ferris Hydro WB? You kidding me? Have you tried eXmark TTHP with ECS and sulky? Try one and then compare with the Ferris, you have to match an Hydro with Hydro not belt with Hydro cause there is NO WAY NO WAY, a belt WB will match the Hydro WB.
    I have both the 36"Metro and 52"TTHP, I know the "HUGE" difference of them. You have to find out why ? Never get belt WB as your bread and butter mower, it wears you down in no time, let alone the productivity side...
    regards,

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Just the wrong color red.:D

I hold Rod is very high regard. If he likes them and says they are good, I believe him. Ferris mowers have been around a long time and have a pretty good reputation. They are worth looking into.