Ferris wb.. new for $3100 or 3 year old for $2000??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lithnights, May 18, 2007.

1. lithnights

lithnights LawnSite Member

Local dealer has a Ferris 48" wb (BGF48KAV1548) new for $3100

When I asked if they had any used 48" machines, he looked and said they have a 3 year old Ferris (same exact model) for $2000. It was actually bought at their store to a guy who has 2 acres of land (thus not beat up by commercial use) and recently the guy traded it back so he could get something bigger. I'm going to go look at it, but he said it's beautiful and it looks like it's new off the floor. This hints to me that the owner babied it.

Is it me or is this a bargain for a 3 year old machine that lists for $3100 new? Unless the owner dropped this off a cliff or had a lawn business on the side, doesn't this look like a darn good deal?

Thoughts?

2. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

lithnights,
    What dealer are you talking about?

Are you using this for lawn care, or home?

I just purchased a new Ferris DD, 48" wb.

3. lithnights

A dealer in Doylestown, PA

Using it for home use. 1/2 acre lawn

I just got back from looking at it. It's in great shape.. the only thing I didn't like was it was a bit more complicated to change the mowing height than it was on my Gravely. But that's not a huge deal. I figure it's probably got about 100 or so hours on it based on 3 years of homeowners use on his lot.

You like the Ferris?

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

5. lithnights

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

1/2" increments deck adjustment, grease yes, get used to it lol...6.5 mph top speed

7. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

So far my Ferris unit are great. I can't complain at all.

8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

if youre only gonna use it on your own yard then you shouldn't worry about changing the height. change it one time and youre set.

9. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

The only problem I encounter with changing my Ferris' height is that you get grease on your gloves and then you wipe the sweat off your face...then you go and try to be professional with your customers while you have grease smeared all over your face. Prolly happened to me a dozen times this year, good thing my partner has caught it the majority of time before I can go embarrass myself.

While we're on this topic, can you simply go and replace those spacers with different sizes from a hardware store? Like instead of having 2 ferris spacers underneath could I have 1 Ferris spacer and 1 that is say .25"? It just seems like some of my yards mowing height needs a little adjustment and it would look better.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

keep in mind too that you can add or remove spacers to your blades to get that 1/4 difference or purcashe some 1/4inch thick washers to replace the 1/2 spacers

wow 48" machine for a 1/2 acre.. seems like overkill...for a single residential yard...

I say that but I'm waiting for one our Gravely Pro 40's or one of the gravely convertibles here at work to come up for sale...