1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ferris WB ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mf13368, Oct 23, 2008.

1. mf13368

mf13368 LawnSite Member

I'm looking at 2 Ferris WB's and was looking for some feedback.

#1 Used Hydrowalk - 48", 14 Kohler, Owner is not sure if this single or dual hydro. I tried asking him how he turned it but couldn't gather much from that conversation. I've only seen pics (2 hours away) but it appears to have been well-used (or at least not well maintained appearance wise). Current owner used it to cut his own property but he bought it from a church (the church ownership part concerns me from a maintenance standpoint). Decent price - $1400 but really wanted 36" rather than 48".

#2 New Hydrocut - 32", 13 Kaw, single hydro, Leftover stock at dealer so does not have new quick adjust deck. $2195

Negatives for both - Nearest Ferris dealer is 70 miles away.

Are the Hydrowalks single or dual hydro?

Thanks!

Mark

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

no experance whth them personaly, however I have a froend that cut's only with Ferris.

he swears by them

3. ericmcj31

ericmcj31 LawnSite Senior Member

I have Ferris'. I have a 48 WB DD---mine is a 19 HP. To me the 14 is too few HP especially if you're gonna be using a velke/sulky. Kinda a high price, too--it would be third owner (you) and you said yourself that it's not too well maintained. If you go look at it-FIRST thing-check the oil--if it looks black, then you know that it prob. wasn't maintained well--and oil is the most important thing as far as engine life. Second check its air filter, if really clogged-then taht should tell you somethign--I mean he knows that you're coming to look at/possibly buy-and I would AT LEAST change oil/sharpen blades/clean or replace filter. if he's not willing ot do that-then I would DEF walk away. I would also try to get him around the 1,000 mark.

Sounds like the second is a better deal-although smaller (deck). 13 hp is great for 36'' WB. I assume it comes with the 2-year warranty?? 70-mile drive is a bummer-esp. if something small happens-you've wasted half a day taking/picking up each time.

If I were you, I'd prob. look into another brand-not that anything is wrong with Ferris, as I said I love mine and have used them for about 7-8 years now-but first isn't really a good deal, and the distance to your dealer doesn't sound good either. Good luck!