Ferris with alot of blow out? Hey Rodfather!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frue, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Those who run ferris like rodfather do you guys have alot of blow out? Mine is rediculous after cutting one lawn this deck is coverd. I even have to brush off me sometimes. Does anybody have any tips? I have leveld the deck...

2. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

You didn't post what model you have but my IS2000 isn't that bad. There is a little but the leading edge of the deck is in line with the blade edges so you can't get rid of all the blowout.

3. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I have a 52" 1500 and last two cuts i noticed some blow out, but i think that the grass is so dry and crispy that it blows everywhere. I never noticed it before and i have not changed a thing.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have an IS 3000 and we don't have any bad blowout. You said you leveled the deck but what about the pitch? Should be 1/4" lower in the front. If the pitch isn't right that may cause some excessive blowout.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The deck pitch you should look into. Hows the grass? Lush or burnt

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What are the grass conditions and what blades are you running?

7. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just going to post the exact same thread. I have the same problem although I have the ferris w/b. Even with gators the blowout is horrible it will pick up little to no leaves just blow them right out of the way. Luckily I use the lazer on alot of lawns which works great and picks everything up but this mower is horrible I'm going to try raising the blades up into the deck more hopefilly this helps.

8. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

With as dry as it is I've noticed some with mine. Not too bad though. My Toro SFS is a different story. Without the mulch kit on, not only is my deck covered, but so am I.

9. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

1/8 is the pitch back to front. The grass is very dry. I used it today and got coverd in leaves and dust. I tried to get the pitch down more it just would not.
    The mower is 2000is. I run the stock blades and are very satisfied the cut quality is good but the blow out is terrrible. My toro would take a whole day to get the deck field the ferris only takes one lawn and I must blow the entire mower off.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

With these very dry conditions, I am having blowout with all my Ferris's (WB's and Z's) and Toro Groundsmasters (front mounted decks)...and I am running 1/2" deck difference from front to back on the Z's.

Gotta think bout this one.