Ferris Z-turns, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jan 26, 2008.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Im probably getting a 60" Ferris IS 2000, love the suspension! what do you think about this brand?

2. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Ferris was my first choice when I went to buy a new mower. I got to mow with a guy's 5100, and fell in love with it. Then I went to the dealer and found out the prices. I personally couldn't see paying 16 to 17000 +tax for one mower. I looked at some of their other models, but all were out of my price range. Several of the gas models I looked at were well over $10000. I went with the Bad Boys, and got a is suspension and the same motor applications. Instead of paying $30500 for 2 machines (otd), I paid $20539 out the door and saved about $10000. I still got the Cat diesel and the lc kawasaki, suspension, air seat, and I found out later that some of the other features were alot better. Instead of 10 guage decks I got 5, and instead of manual lifts, I got auto. I think Ferris is an extremely nice mower, if you have alot of extra money laying around to blow.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've had over 20 Ferris machines during the past 14 years. Very dependable and tough. We currently have 4 Z's, 2 of the 61" and the other 2 are 72" (and 4 WB's). Can't beat the ride, that's for sure.

4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the model you are looking at. Very good machine, I only paid 8100 for it. Great ride cutting is not in the exmark caliber but its good. Very very quick it feels like you are on a much smaller machine the way it handles.

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

thanks, the one Im looking at i can get a good deal on, its the 25 horse fan cooled Kawi. for 8000

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Depends on who you talk to. A guy this past summer in a neighborhood that we work was talking to me about his ferris. He walked me over and showed me the deck. He said the deck is so weak if you bump something hard it bends the deck. His deck has been pounded out a bunch of times. It was all mangled up.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would have follwed up and asked him why he and/or his employees were running into things?

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

wow, Im not worried about that because Ive put a few hundred hours on my uncles IS 2000 working for him and Ive hit stuff! Hes hit stuff, some of the paint is worn off but no dents at all! I cant imagine what that guy was doing.

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a feeling I know why. It is my understanding he is an alky and I think he is solo. But I have to admit I have made a mistake or two in my time and pulverized something hard with the deck and never done any damage. An LCO friend of ours used to run nothing but ferris mowers for years but he switched to exmark and said they cut much better. I myself have never run a ferris so I cant really comment on them from personal experiance. Just from what I have seen and heard.

EDIT: As a matter of fact I am pretty sure I have read on here from others that said the ferris decks were weak. I wish I could find that discussion again. It was last summer I read it I think.

10. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

The Ferris IS 2000 is a very good mower and you should be happy with it.
    I felt the Lightning had a much stronger built, was easier to maintain (I planned to do my own maintenance) and better features/price ratio.
    The Bad Boy suspension system is also better designed for mowing grass at high speed (no up and down like with the springs) and provides a better cut on rough lawns while keeping the operator in relative comfort (not as smooth as the Ferris though).
    In terms of customer service, Bad Boy is there when you need them, no mater what happens.
    I recommend you demo both mowers and choose the best for yourself.