1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ferris Zero Turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaybee, Sep 24, 2000.

1. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

Can anybody give me a first hand report on the Ferris zero turn rider with a 61 inch deck and the Kawasaki 23hp motor.
  2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

never tried it nut only heard great stuff about it. Thats the one w/ independant rear suspensioin right?
  3. A few of the LCO's here have some of them. Local dealer asked me about trying one. Told him I didn't think so, he asked why?, I told him I drive by some lawns cut with one everyday, the quality of cut doesn't impress me. Stripping quality was lacking real bad, and clumping was real bad.
  4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

davis, I agree with you. Though the independent suspension is great the quality of cut wasnt so great. It was ok but didnt compare to the cut of my z master.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Evan: I think it makes a differance on who is operating a machine, how it cuts, because I saw a crew mowing a lawn across the street with Z Masters that was clumping big time on a lawn that doesn't look like it ever gets fertilized. It was wet, but so was the lawn I was mowing and mine wasn't clumping. I don't know what they were doing, but it looked very bad. It hadn't grown a whole lot either and it seemed like I was cutting taller grass than them. I know you said you can't make yours clump in wet grass, but they sure could.
  6. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

The 18,400 fpm Z-Masters cut far better than the 16,000 fpm Z-Masters.

Cutting Ryegrass vs. Bluegrass, moisture and different lawns changes the equation as well.

I think you need to run 2 mowers side-by-side the SAME lawn, the SAME day to accurately compare.
  7. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

I agree on mower comparison. Side by side, same exact lawn. As for clumping. I found that wet grass clumps no matter what mower I use. Exmark Lazer or turf tracer hp. Dry grass , no problem, but here in the northeast there hasn't been any dry grass all year.
  8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with Lazer and Jaybee, what I was trying to say is, it may not be the mowers fault. Evan has said in past posts that his Z Master cuts wet grass perfectly, but I saw the same brand clumping, so it must be something the operators were doing wrong. The grass they were mowing is right across the street from where I was mowing and right next to another lawn we mow. They might have been cutting an inch shorter or something like that when they should have been cutting at the same or higher than the previous week. I have no idea, but it wasn't looking good. They might of had a deck that was completely clogged up too. I agree that I could make any deck clump up a lawn if I wanted to. It's just that some can't make a lawn look good, in any conditions.
  9. steve

steve LawnSite Member

On the Ferris the dealer is suspsosed to level the deck before it sells. That one may of never been leveled, that the reason for a lower quality of cut.

I've heard it can blow away any other Z on the market!
  10. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

I have a Ferris ProCut 22 61 inch. (Not a ZTR.) It is built like a rock. I love it. The guy that sold it to me replaced it with a seconed Ferris ZTR.