1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ferris ztr cut quality

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Travis Followell, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I done a search and really didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So overall how good is the cut quality of Ferris Mowers? Do they clump really bad in wet grass or not and how well do they stripe? We will be buying a new mower either at the end of this year or start of next year and will definately be considering Ferris.
  2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:pumpkin: travis, i recently demoed the IS3000 extreme for a few days, while another ztr was being repaired and i absolutely loved it, the cut was great, and extremly comfortable to ride. the cut a stripe were exceptional, even under wet condtions, the 27 hp kohler really help fling the grass, i think you'll like it. tony
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Anyone else have a reply? I know there is more than one person on this site that uses Ferris ztr's.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have been Ferris machines for like 9 or 10 years now full time. Anyone on LS will tell ya I am probably their biggest fan. Guess we have had like around 20 Ferris machines so far (in fact, right now we have 6, 4 WB's and 2 Z's). They stripe well and are extremely reliable too.
  5. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 5 ferris mowers and so far so good. My 72" IS 4000 doesn't seem to like wet grass too much but the look out when it's dry. All my others do fine in wet grass up to a certain point. I usually start at 7am and the grass is usually pretty wet. The cut quality is comparable to any other mower. If you put high lift blades on they really throw the grass out the chute. I only run the high lifts durring the spring and then go back to regular lifts the rest of the season. The high lifts take a bit more power and use a bit more gas. Overall I am pleased. My dealer is awesome too. They cost a bit more to buy but the ride quality is worth it.
  6. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

I've got a 23 52 and i love it... although not being able to get a mulch kit sucks.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

all ferris, you're doing fine son with the exception of your sig saying your wife says you buy too much...lol
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

9. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 21/48. It works great for me. Leaves a great cut.

You guys that are looking for mulch kits -- Have you called ferris? They told me they make one. I think they told me $189. They said it was the baffles, not just a plate.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its the wrong color :waving: , but if my old friend Rod says they are good machines...I can't argue with him. I trust his judgement. They were the first to put a CAT on thiers, and I did love that. A few years ago when it first came out, they sounded like Mac trucks. Just make you all warm and fuzzy listening to them. :drinkup: