Ferris ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toquic4u, Oct 12, 2007.

1. toquic4u

toquic4u LawnSite Member

What do you think about Ferris ztrs? I like the sound of the four-wheel independent suspension, but I have heard its very high matinence. Does the suspension make a big difference? Thanks

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

What have you heard is high maint? I've got a IS2000, had it two years, just under 700 hours on it now, and I havent so much as touched the suspension. As far as it making a difference, it depends on how much seat time you have and how rough your lawns are, a long day on the ferris is a little less on your lower back and kidneys.
    For what its worth,
    Matt.

3. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell you what. I have the Ferris IS1500 and a Kubota ZD331 and the ride between the two is Night and Day.

Tim

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

High maintenance? Couple of extra grease fittings is all. I have 4 Ferris Z's as well.

5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Have not noticed the extra maintenance so far. I have had mine this season and so far I have not touched the suspention.

6. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 1500 48" cut it mows well in dry grass ferris will say there mower will cut well in wet but it won't discharge wet grass. just bought a 797 john deere with the suspension seat it rides better than the ferris. make sure you get extended warranty because i've had hydros and drive motors go out many times and 1 side costs $3500 to repair each time. i'll never buy another ferris will stick with jd

7. shop22

shop22 LawnSite Member

$3500 each side? Youre getting ripped off. I've easily done pump and wheel motor on one side for under $2000. And I thought i was high then.
    And the 1500 doesn'y really compare with a 797. The IS2000 would be a better comparison and that rides much better than the 1500 does.

8. toquic4u

toquic4u LawnSite Member

Thanks, sounds like its worth the extra money.

9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

get a 3100 or up they are built the best

10. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I like my 1500Z, it's a good machine so far....no maintenance worries over any other brand, IMHO.