Ferris Ztr's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BUDGET CUT'S LAWN CARE, Mar 16, 2006.

BUDGET CUT'S LAWN CARE LawnSite Member

Kind Of New To The Business Going On Three Year's Now. I'm Thinking About Ferris Ztr. But I've Heard Bad Things About The Suspension System Contributes To Scalping Is This True?
  2. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

There are some guys in this area that were running them and now they are getting rid of them. Mostly due to dealer issues but I have also been told the suspension wears out prematurly.
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

No, Rodfather has posted many, many times about how the suspension helps to eliminate scalping. Do a search under his screenname and Ferris, you should find the info.
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

It was my understanding he was referred to as Mr. Ferris.:laugh:
  5. exmark1

exmark1 LawnSite Member

We had a Ferris IS 3000 It was the WORST machine ever, parts constantly fell off, it cut terribly even after 6 trips to the dealer to adjust and supposedly fix the problem! We traded it after 1 month of use and it was a New machine!

Exmark all the way at least my experience these things are bullet proof! We have an old 2000 model with 2300 hours that is still used every day with very little work being done to it
  6. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I would never buy a ferris again bad things are the controls are so loose, i had bad luck with the pumps, dealers really suck, hour meter stopped working after 100 hrs, spindles are not the best, so on so on.. good things are kawasaki motor is awesome and will cut though anything..I would have to say in the six yeas i have been in business it is the worst investment I made.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How can that be since they have only been out a couple of years? How many Ferris Z's with IS do you have?:confused:
  8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Our Ferris IS3000 (25hp Kaw), with full 4-wheel independant suspension, is going into it's 4th season with us. We have never had any problem with it. The suspension is GREAT. I am not sure if I will ever buy another riding mower without a suspension. The cut quality is excellent. I have a very good relationship with my dealer, although I have never needed him regarding our Ferris.

You are always going to have good and bad reports about equipment. From what I have seen basically all the commercial equipment available today is at least good.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned two ferris IS 61" mowers when they first came out one was blue in color. Anyhow after several pumps pump belts which were $90 a piece and one mower deck. I got rid of them. the only thing good about them was they would hold a hill real good when they were running. Now with that being said my experience was with ferris themselves and not with the newer simplicity briggs and stratton built machines. They look like they have improved the belts on the pumps however they are the same brand and the deck with the exception of the spindles looks the same. Myself I would have a hard time giving one a chance after my bad luck with them and the dealer here is poor so they at least for me are a no go.
  10. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I guess I should add that I did own a old ferris and it was a great tough machine but that was in the past before simplicity bought them out( or whatever the deal with the change was). So to clarify when I bad mouth a ferris it is the newer ones I speak of.