1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ferris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie uses a system similar to that. They used to use distributors but Dixie bought them out, lock, stock and barrel. Now Dixie sends the mowers directly to the distributor's old warehouse and sends them to dealers from there. I like it because you are dealing with Dixie Chopper from start to finish. If you need a specific mower and the warehouse doesn't have it it's a simple thing for the factory to send it out. Under the distributor system if he doesn't have it you had to wait for them to go through all of the PO BS and then wait on a whole truck load of mowers to get put together before you could get your mower. It has also allowed Dixie to hold the prices of their mowers steady for a few years now while everybody else has been raising prices.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

would someone please tell me why ferris is so great compared to a turf tracer with ecs??

the single hydro with the thumb thingeys doesn't sound do great to me.

I mean...are we back to the "pistol grip vs. ecs,tbar, hustler" hand control argument?

GEO :confused:

3. scaper27

scaper27 LawnSite Member

Ferris and Scag is the way to go. The others are for homeowners

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

uh oh...someone is gonna hear it :nono: :laugh:

5. scaper27

scaper27 LawnSite Member

I know, right

6. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried running doubles? I've found them to be helpful when mowing crappy turf. The second set seems to give the mower another shot at cutting the ornery stuff that would otherwise be left uncut.

7. Dashunde

The "full size" Ferris' are not the thumb control type, your thinking of the little homeowner thing.

The big Hydro DD's (the one in the pics posted above) run two hydros with cooling fans.

8. YotaNate

YotaNate LawnSite Member

No, I haven't tried doubles. I'm afraid that the 15hp Kaw won't have enough power. It barely gets by as it is. But I will give them a try this week and see how it does.

9. Dashunde

Same engine I have. It does pull down at bit with double high-lifts, but not enough to bother me.
    Maybe try your regular blades plus a low-lift set... it will provide the extra set of cutting edges with less drag.

10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Is there any way to cut lower than the 1.75 that they advertise? Our clients are used to about 1" in the winter time.