1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ferriss(sp) walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slowleak, Feb 15, 2003.

1. slowleak

slowleak LawnSite Member
    from 63055

any advice about these machine's the one i have has a kaw 14 hp. older belt driven model. thanks, kevin
  2. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Rodfather has, I think nine of them; he will be able to help you.:)
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Extremely reliable machines. We have had I guess like 12 or so of them in the past 9 years. One hydro pump went south on us after 4 years, but it was still under warantee and didn't cost us a dime. We've also had 4 of their 3-wheelers as well...also great machines.

Recently added a Z (IS3000) from the constant pressure from a certain (unmentioned...LOL) fellow LS member. Very nice unit too.

We don't run belt-driven Ferris units, only hydro. So I can't really help you there. If you need any additional info, you can contact me at Rspronck@aol.com.

Good Luck with your machine and I hope that helps.
  4. Ferris are great machines.Plus I have never had a problems with dealing with them.
  5. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1995 belt driven walk behind. Best mower I have.

There built well. And cut well too.

Demo a machine. I'm looking at maybe a new Ferris rider.
  6. skrats

skrats LawnSite Member

i have 98'belt drive and it has made me a lot of money$$
    i have had a hydro but didnt like it because it was heavier than the belts and it was harder to make a turn on a dime
  7. rodfather

Harder??? :confused: It should be easier. I don't get that one.
  8. skrats

skrats LawnSite Member

yah i didnt understand either but i have done both and the belt is easier and also quicker in and out of the turns
  9. rodfather

Could be one of two things...it was a single hydro vs. a dual hydro. Secondly, the filter(s) may have needed to be replaced and/or the pump itself wasn't turned up to where it should be.

Hydro machines will be a little heavier, but like I said, I've never heard someone say a belt-driven unit turned easier than a hydro. Ease of turning is one of the big reasons we run them in the first place.
  10. skrats

skrats LawnSite Member

yes i failed to inform you that it was a single pump