Fert accounts

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by New2TheGreenIndustry, Mar 6, 2008.

1. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Currently, when a customer asks about fertilizer we pass them off to a company like TruGreen or a company of their choice. Those of you that offer it as a service, what is your schedule and what do you charge? Is it a profitable area of business?

2. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Start a working relationship with good companys around you. (fert. & weed, landcsapers, arborist even hydroseed outfits) That type of networking will get referrals back to you.

We keep a list of fellow industry companys to refer people to when they ask about services we do not offer. They will remember how helpful you were and spread your name.

3. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

Read this to get started...
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2194016#post2194016

I focus on LCO's specifically. I've worked for LCO's in the past that have not done their own treatments and the problems that they had. I know a lot of companies that offer the "total" package, and praise them for it. If you can do the treatments and get good results while being fully licensed and insured for that area and make a profit then good. There is good money in the fert biz but keep in mind there is good money in it once you get to a certain revenue intake, i call it "the magic number". The number of dollars I need to bring in to pay for everything and make my margin. Some might take offense to this but many LCO's around my neck of the woods don't realize this. What I offer to the LCO's is a program that suits there needs. I'll try to be at a cost where you and I make money. I look at it this way, do i buy the equipment, get licensed, buy the product, pay my employee to apply, devote more of my time to making sure another aspect of this biz gets done correctly, and break even or lose money? Or do I find a fert only company that I trust to handle this for me and make a profit without spending a dime on equipment, fees, and product? Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. just my .02 though