Fert and Squirt set-up in a trailer....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by oOTurfmanoO, Jun 10, 2006.

1. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

I like the idea and would love to hear from those who do it.

The idea of a cabover is a great idea as is a cargo van or box truck.

I am leaning toward a 7x14 enclosed until a van or the like is in my budget.

What do you think?

Pros, Cons...
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 6x12 dbl axle trailer for a couple of reasons, 1. any truck in our compnay can pull it 2. It was alot cheaper to buy and maintain than a van or box truck. 3. It can be left at large sites that take a full day with the operator dropped off, then the truck can be used for something else if needed. Also the trailer really helps in the fall or after a few days of rain to help our maintenance crews get caught up, becasue it can also carry mowing equipment, flowers etc. The only pit fall I have about it can be cumbersome in some areas.. Hard to park, etc. the person using really need to be aware of that when they pull it somewhere.
  3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I'm not in love with carrying a skid inside an eclosed trailer. You need access to hose, pump and engine, as well as the ability to exhaust your engine outside of the trailer unless you want to die next time you climb in to fill. You would have to seriously customize an enclosed to make it work worth a damn, with panels and access ports along with the exhaust extension. If budget is a concern(as you stated) why not just put it on an open trailer and put on a box for whatever you feel you need enclosed, like paper bagged fert. 12-18" sides should clear most reels and give access to pumps while providing the barrier you are looking for PLUS that's a very very common trailer dimension(meaning no custom build($$$), no wait time to buy at a local dealer).
  4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Utah makes a great point, our sprayers are not inside the trailer, it is just used to carry fert, ride on machine backpacks etc.
  5. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I use a 7 x 14 enclosed. I carry a z spray , pallet of fert, 80 gallon nurse tank, 2 backpack sprayers, blower and various items (spill kit etc, gloves etc small tools, trash can, fuel buckets, scale, broom , tarp,measuring wheel,etc) The trailer has barn doors and I use aluminum fold up ramps to load and unload the z. The fert is loaded from the rear and pushed forward with a forklift. I wanted to avoid handloading bagged material as much as possible. I have a compact tractor with forks that I also use at my storage yard to switch products out of the trailer if going to from fert to seed or whatever. I'm a solo operator and try be as efficient as I can. I still move a lot by hand, but the tractor can be a big time saver. The ramps that are vailable on enclosed trailers will not suport a forklift.

The trailer works well but can get a little tight at times. Seems to get better as the pallet "goes down". Biggest pain in the azz is strapping the z down. I have a prolocker that is set up for a open deck over trailer that I am going to now use in the enclosed. If weather is good and I need to have a lot of product on hand then I use the open trailer and have a 200 gallon skid sprayer for a nurse tank.

I like the enclosed set up doing apps. I like to keep as much of "it" out of view from the public eye.I have nothing to hide but perception is reality. I know a lot people use the enlosed vans with excellent results.

I did what I could afford to do and what I thought would be efficient. So far it's working.
  6. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

FINN:7x14 big enought? or would you have went larger,..
  7. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

I too use a 7' X 14' with a 7500 GVW. I like it a lot for many reasons, and here are some: When it is spitting showers, and I am doing a Granular app. I drive the spreader into the trailer, take off the shower cap and fill up nice and dry. Less handling of bags. If I get rained out, they stay in the trailer, dry and safe. Less in the public eye AND I can lock up everything, easily.

I will admit that there are a few props. that have small driveways, or steep hills, so I park a bit from the house and drive the spreader over. Overall though I would have to say a $4,000 very well spent!

8. FINN

from PA.

Ditto on what heritage is saying. I wanted to leave a commercial job today to get lunch but did not want to take the trailer. Unhooked, ,locked the doors and hitch and off I go.

Somtimes I think I should have gone for the 7x16 but then I would just find more crap to haul around. The problem I am starting to have now is not enough truck. Lately, I have been doing some jobs for other contractors that require a fair amount of material. I'd like to be able to load the bed of the truck as needed in addition to the trailer. Right now I have a F250 diesel that pulls like a champ but I can see I've been pushing it to the limit.
  9. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

my trailer set-up would be for material, tools of the trade such as blowers, scale, measuring wheel, bp sprayer(s), wb rotary spreader and a pm Ultra.

I like the idea of a pro locker for the z, would it fit a pm?

Weed, insect, and grass id posters may be the interior decor of the trailer.:laugh:
  10. FINN

from PA.

Pro Locker has several sizes available. It's possible they have it to fit the PM.