Fert App Prices are going down!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kootoomootoo, Mar 9, 2004.

1. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Must have done ten quotes this past week on 10000-15000 sq ft lawns and all looked shocked when I even dared mention it would be $50 per app. Scotts and numerous other guys are around
    $43 or less. One had six estimates and even at $48 I was the highest.

Thankgod for installs.

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I gave a guy an estimate for the same size prop $45.00 the other guy is doing it for 30.00.
    I got the aerating for 85.00 so one door closed another opens

3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I did 50 estimates the last 7 days. Only 2 sales so far. I am consistant with lawn doctor and tru green, but weedman and scotts are low balling $%*)#)#_#@@%$. I am sticking to my guns regardless.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

that sucks turf 2 out of 50 i have picked up a few from scotts

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Its better to sell 1 at regular price then 2 discounted theirs only one stop and you make the same money.

6. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

We're seeing the same crap here as well, and even when we've come in with a price a few bucks under the big companies then they tell the people they'll match the price. That's when I say to the potential client, they've been making that extra off of you for how long now, and now their willing to give it back? Guess who's yard will get cheated this year?

7. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

I gave a guy an estimate for the same size prop $45.00 the other guy is doing it for 30.00.

That's the same thing all the small businesses said when Wal-mart came to town....

Scary, isn't it. I don't compete. I come out of the truck and say, hey, I am going to be higher than anyone else you called. Shall we still talk?

EG

8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I would say it is a bit different than a Walmart, but similiar. It is a bit uneasy knowing that there are companies out there going sooo low just trying to gain the major market share. I just don't know how you can bid $40-45 for a 10k lawn, please the customer, make a profit, pay employees well enough to retain them, and offer IPM. Can anyone answer this or are they just making a tiny profit until the little guys are out of biz and then raising there rates??

I agree, sell quality, if the customer wants low price then discussion over.

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

look what they did in our area turf
    they bought out custom care and r pricing lower than lawn doctor and fighting it out with chem lawn and weed man to see who can go the lowest
    they just use smoke and mirrors to raise the price when they can and if u dont pay the hound u and put a collection company out on u
    all tricks i care not to try

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i had a client i signed the other day tell me, that a major fert company(she wouldn't say the name) is going aroiund doing quotes in her neighborhood, and advising the customers that they should NEVER let the guy who cuts the lawn fertilize it too. he said we won't put the right amount of fert down, cus we don't like excesive growth, and overall we have no clue what we are doing.