1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fert. application question???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jnamo, May 12, 2006.

1. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

I posted this in the fert. section and haven't got any hits yet. Maybe someone here can help???

I have a client that would like me to put down some nutralime in her yard. She has a bag of this stuff from a few years ago and wants me to use it. From what I read on the bag it seems like something to be used with seed and not on an established lawn for greening purposes. I am in SE Michigan and her lawn is about 4500 sq ft. I just dethatched it last week and she has the usually lawn fert. guy coming once a month to spray. I think he came a few weeks ago. Any help is greatly appreciated-Thanks, Jeff
  2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

It sound slike she just wants you to apply a product she wants on her lawn. Apply it and charge her a labor fee for the application. Who cares what the bag says if that is what she wants applied to her lawn.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Of course apply it and charge her, ONLY if you are trained and Licensed to do so is what I think he meant to say....
  4. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

If you decide to put it down make sure shes aware that you're not responsible for any damage it may or may not cause.
  5. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

This lady is a long time friend/customer. She is my favorite and I don't want to screw up her lawn. I treat it like my own. That is why I am asking. I won't put down fert. for anyone else.
    She is the sweet old lady I have known for years. (Widow, family lives out of town).
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What was her soil analysis results? PH? How does she know she nrrds it? If the PH is already high (this happens in several cases), it can do more harm than good. It is not a matter of being like just putting down more fertilizer when it isn't really necessary. Actually, too high of soil PH is much worse than too little. Of course, for 4500 sq. ft., if you're not applying atleast 200# (total), then you are essentially not ap-plying any to make any real significant change in the base, anyway. Some people just get it in their mind that something is necessary, and that they have to have it...regardless.
  7. SuperiorLandscapeMgmt.

SuperiorLandscapeMgmt. LawnSite Member

That really does depend on soil ph, dont apply if she doesn't need it or if you dont know. I dont think you need to be cert. or have a lic. to apply this product, just Ins.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

it's probably a 50 lb bag, right? spread over 4,500 sq ft, it won't even effect the ph. in the future tell your friends/customers, you don't use thier products
  9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I thought you only had to be Licensed if a pesticide, herbicide, or fungicide was used.
  10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

you have to be licensed to apply anything with an e.p.a # on it .