Fert applications

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by SKIQUATTRO, Jun 10, 2008.

1. SKIQUATTRO

SKIQUATTRO LawnSite Member

last week i put down milorganite...when should i reapply agin (if at all)

the insturctions on the bag werent great and there isnt much info on the website.

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Basically a organic fertilizer with slight nitrogen and less phosphate and no potassium. It is almost just a carrier for iron. You'd do better with a good liquid micro-nutrient combo.
    With these a analysis an application about every two weeks or when the green begins to fade is a good indicator. But beware of the artifical greening of a lawn. If it does not produce a good color naturally without the iron, the soil needs attention--many causes including low PH (acid side) or could be a high Ph (More alkaline) You should do a soil test if you're using milorganite to green it up rather quick. Or you could just like using this type.

3. SKIQUATTRO

thanks for the reply....but i might as well be reading Greek..

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Consider Milorganite to take 3 - 6 weeks to really show anything, if at all. You can't over apply so if you don't like the way the lawn looks now add some more until you do.

Every month, every week, doesn't matter. Compost spread over the lawn will make more show than Milorganite, but I believe they are both required together for optimum results.

5. SKIQUATTRO

are you all saying that milorganite isnt good?

6. Smallaxe

To define 'good' as a straight source of NPK, then u r going to day not so good. Once u consider the ability for the plant to use the nutrients. u may say better. Consider the N that is there will not leach or evaporate as much, if at all, better yet. Also consider that any kind of OM is going to build soil structure and provide Cation Exchange sites you are getting close to preferable.

It is probably a waste of time on lawns that are overwatered all through the season with the clippings bagged every week. There you need to shovel on the N to keep up.

The properly cared for lawn can do great with Milorganite and compost. What is "no good" is over watering and over fertilizing, producing shallow rooted turf that can no longer push its way into the compacted soil it is sitting on.

7. SKIQUATTRO

thanks....I need to know what i should put down now (around July 4th) please give me a brand and nutrient numbers so i can get the proper fert.

8. Smallaxe

There is no "one size fits all" fert for every situation. I am assuming you want a fresh green look for the 4th.

A fast acting N fert will probably do that but even those take a couple of weeks generally. Try a good liquid [although I haven't found one that worked well myself]

Your main concern is whether or not your lawns can stand another N stimulation to top growth. It is the fert apps this time of year that burnout unirrigated lawns.

9. SKIQUATTRO

my lawn has been fert free for about 2 years, so this is a rebuilding year..I did the Milogrante Memoral Day, but been hearing thats not the best as it dosent have all the nutrients in it...I wont be home on the 4th so i dont need a fast acting fert, just the proper one for this time of year..

10. Smallaxe

What does it look like now? Do you bag clippings or put them back on the grass? Do you irrigate? Why was it 'fert-free' for 2 years and what changes did you see?

Not having all the nutrients is also a relative thing. Very few lawns need more P if you are recycling the clippings. Milorganite has Fe in it which is good. Heat of the summer app is best as compost, if the grass seems fine now.

Fertilizers alone work as vitamin pills but everyone should eat a sandwich [compost] as well.