Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 11, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i think i know the answere to this but havnt heard it from anyone else yet. here in nj some of the lawns are looking like they r suffering from heat/drought stress. i dont think its been that dry, but every year at this time certain lawns start looking this way. of course the one thing these lawns all have in common is they r not watered or not watered properly. we give watering instructions every year, and of course some folks dont listen. the ones that do listen have great lawns. anywho, is it absolutely out of the question to fertilize these lawns in this condition? i would think the nitro is a bad thing, but need some opinions. thanx
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like it could be heat stress, but id check and see if you have armey worms. all the lawns around here are loaded with them and they are turning the yards severely brown. they even have had news stories on them because there are so many wrecking the lawns.
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I read somewhere that once temperatures get into the 90's grasses cannot produce chlorophyll which gives grass its green color. This may only be true for cooler season grasses up here in the north. This could be an old wives tale for all I know.

MDB Could be right as I didn't read that it was only some of your lawns. Does anyone know the truth to what I stated above?
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if its under stress i wouldnt put anything on it but rain.
    you might also cut higher if possible and less often.
    later now

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

You will see quicker recovery if there is nitrogen available to the turf when you do get a quick shower. But, you should use a fert that has a high pecentage of sulfur-coated urea. Regular water soluable urea can burn the turfgrass. I use a 40% sulfur coat.
  6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i hope i'm wrong but all of my lawns were starting to turn a tadd bit yellow (not as green) because lack of water, no rain for a week and a half. now a week after 2 big stroms and after little showers all the lawns have regreened up and growing real fast again. look at the source of your problem, see how much water lawns should get on weekly basis, how much shade, how much fert., and anything else that will green up your lawns and get them to where they should be. but common sense says tells ma that these lawns need watered and quick, maybe some fert. with high potassium and potash.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I only have experience with cool season grasses like KY blue, red fescue and rye blends and I am seeing lots of dormant grass as it has not rained in a while. Matthew hit it with the higher SCU content. If you have too much uncoated urea it will burn without adequate water.
    When I look around the downspouts on the lawns I see alot of green lush growth. When I look out in the sunny areas I see heat stressed lawn that is dormant. The lawns really need water.

I reduce this application to about 2.5# per 1K sq/ft. Good Luck.
  8. Rodney Anderson

Rodney Anderson LawnSite Member

Most every one hit it one head. Using a slow release product is correct way to go, reducing the N rate is important. Another factor to remember although the turf may brown and dormant it is also important to take an extra few minutes to thoroughly review the lawn for turf damaging insects. The lawns may be brown and camouflage an insect problem. It is a good idea to keep the mowers of the lawn and reduce traffic on the lawns also.
    Dont you just love the smell of dormant grass, Yuck!
  9. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Im in Jersey also and rodney threw out some good advice on this. If a lawn is being watered regularly, and the rains have been fairly consistent since the end of may in my neck of the woods, start looking for other possible problems. Chinch bugs prefer hot sunny locations and the damage can be easily mistaken for drough stress. Also in my area, mercer county, army worms have been a big problem (only on two of my lawns so far) but have generated enough noise to get several articles in the paper and on tv so keep an eye out for those.

Also get ready for a huge grub explosion this year. Just sprayed a cherry tree that had more beetles then leaves.