1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fert Dust & Vanguard 16 hp motor

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ted putnam, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I think its really odd. I never find anything more than a fine layer of dust, no big grit or particles. You would think more guys would have this issue.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

A deep cycle marine battery from Wal-Mart. The biggest one i could squeeze in the back tray.

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I do, and it does. I do the best I can with it but its just not practical for me to take the tank off, then the motor cover to reach the deepest recesses of the motor on a daily basis.

I have a fine tipped gun for the compressed air and believe me, I stick it in every little hole I can find on the outside of that motor...

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm also looking in to a steam cleaner to go over it and thoroughly clean it. I'm not sure that this will help underneath the flywheel though.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Won't help under the flywheel and you really don't want it under there. Steam is a good idea for getting the chems off the rest of the machine though. Anything that can remove the caustic stuff from surfaces is bound to help. I'm watching a shos right now that is talking about new products from wd 40. They have a thin protectant lubricant spray that doesn't let grit stick to it. Sounds very useful for our equipment and conditions.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Theres many wheelchair/mobility batteries that have high Amp Hours that will fit right in the existing battery box.

A deep cycle in the back tray must make that thing wheelie happy.

7. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of fert are you running Ted?

8. jackedf150

jackedf150 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Posted via Mobile Device

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe fiberglass window screen fastened over the air intake fin area. This should stop most of the particles. Also...try to devise a metal or plastic shield to prevent any fert or fert dust from getting back on the motor.

I agree with you--a heavy coat of sealer or paint should protect the wires. Yet you do no want the wires to heat up.
    A less dusty fert should help. And try to avoid any nitrates (urea is less corrosive). Potassium chloride is also a source of a moisture attraction.
    And low humidity would be a help...they say Phoenix is nice this time of year...or at least store it in a dry garage with a bit of heat in cool weather to drive out the humidity. Use a gauge--keep humidity under 50 percent.

Maybe a Kawasaki stator coil would work better--of course it will fit--if you don't mind making a few alterations.
    does Kawi add a sealer?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  10. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Not really. Of course, I always keep 100+lbs of fert in the hopper during blanket season. Never let it get below 50 during fert season.

I marked my hopper on the inside in 25lb increment lines.