1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fert. in louisiana

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnPro19, Feb 19, 2008.

1. LawnPro19

LawnPro19 LawnSite Senior Member

just curious how soon can i put down some turf builder on centipede in south louisiana????
  2. LawnPro19

LawnPro19 LawnSite Senior Member

are what fertilizer do you suggest.. i want to create lawn envy in a new neighborhood i jus got into... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
  3. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I wait until April after greenup. I wouldn't try to pump up Centipede with a bunch of N, that leads to problems. 1-1.5#'s per year with some iron is plenty. Get a soil test, topdress, mow properly and irrigate if needed, the grass will look fine. I over seeded this winter too and maintained it nicely and I got way more compliments about that than how the lawn looked in the summer. Here's a pic of my Centipede lawn from last summer and not much had been done do it since I had only moved in at the beginning of the year. Maybe not the envy of the neighborhood but I'm happy with it. I have an old 21" mower that I use at the house, I keep the blades sharp as a knife and actually that in and of itself makes a big difference in the overall appearance.