1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fert in ma

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by walls, Feb 7, 2012.

1. walls

walls LawnSite Member

I've been seeing tru green trucks out with spreaders on the back what would they be spreading this early?
  2. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

fungicide to prevent or treat snow mold, maybe
  3. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

well if it were fungicide, they are truley ripping people off, weve had no snow here this winter (or the least snow ever- anyways)

i would guess lime if anything
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

When I worked at TruGreen during my first year there was no snow for a week. We started pre emergent on February 7th. We used Balan. True, it snowed for about a week, later in March. And as I recall crabgrass was heavy late in the summer. Since each tech had to complete about 500 lawns in 6 weeks, they told us to go when the snow melted.

Nowadays I understand that TruGreen applies a fert to promote early spring green up, and then begins to include crabgrass control in late March and most of April. It allows them to squeeze in another application--sometimes totaling about 7 per year. Great for their early year cash flow.

My normal start date around here was about March 10th. But it often took 8 weeks to get around to all my customers due to rain, wind and occasional snow. Finished pre-emergent about May 7th.
  5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

And soon you will have dates that you are restricted to like us. April 1 to Dec 1.

Why? Because of the big company that applies according to their wallets and stock market and not to what the property or customer needs. Why do the right thing when we can make an appearance, apply something that isn't needed and send a bill?