1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fert. lawn striping with the perm-a-green

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, May 23, 2005.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

well it seemed that i striped a few lawns again with my centri... :angry:

you guys have the same problem with the z spray ?

2. I must admit that it I have fertilized a lawn with the border hole shut. This revealed an impressive stripe pattern in a few weeks. Fortunately the homeowner is a friend of mine and was forgiving.
  3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I have not had any problems with my Magnum. I spread on 7 foot centers and stay in a circle pattern. This compensates if it spreads heavy to one side.
  4. NJemerald

NJemerald LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hey ant,
    I have two ultras... never really had a problem with fertilizer stripping,
    BUT I can't say that for weed control burns! :(
    my largest jobs are just over an acre, so I don't feel (from the looks/size of) a Z-spray would be too useful right now.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I've always stessed that the 3 hole design is is a must. The Spyker hoppers always streak. The Lesco, although not a centered pattern, always puts out a perfect flow pattern. The trick is, to know how to use it. The Lesco (as well as the Magnum) delivers no a centered pattern, but more of a 11 - 3 o'clock throw. The idea is, to circle around counterclockwise, throwing to the center of the last tire tracks. You get a perfect cover everytime. With the Spykers (as well as others without a 3 hole), you always get streaks - I don't care who you are. I see it all the time. Golf courses have been using 3 hole design spreaders for over 20 years. It has taken Permageen several to basically just now figure out that this is what it needs.
  6. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

The first lawn I did with the PG Magnum I striped the front yard. It's billed as a "lesco type sreader". Mine didn't throw like one. You have to adjust for what it does or doesn't do. I didn't make enough overlap in this case. My unit threw much farther to the right than expected even with the 3rd hole adjusted. I actually felt some of the pattern was being wasted as I noticed a lot of Fert throwing to the lower right, almost like it was behind you.

Now any suggestions on how to go back and "hide" the stripes?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

more fert finn
    takes some gettin used to
  8. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I agree Dusty. I made more of an overlap on the next 2 lawns and they came out better.

Are you saying more fert for the stripes or put down more fert and you will get better with the machine overall?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

more fert to even out the lawn u put stripes in
    but only where it is lighter to even it out
  10. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

That will be a trick with a spreader that you aren't sure of the overlap throw on!...you certainly could app the missed stripes if you have a liquid tank mix. Otherwise, you will have to wait for fade out and app it properly to hide the striping.