Fert License in New Jersey

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by joee0914, Dec 17, 2011.

1. joee0914

joee0914 LawnSite Member

So i stopped by my lesco distributor the other day and got into conversation with one of the guys there. He told me that beginning march 1st 2012 apparently you'll need a license to spread fert in new jersey. This is crazy...pritty soon were gonna need a license just to use a lawn mower...:hammerhead:

2. bigdaddycain1216

bigdaddycain1216 LawnSite Member

we have to have a fert license in Oklahoma.

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

The law was passed in Jan. 2011. All professional fertilizer applicators must be certified by the State or work under a certified applicator after 40 hours of training. Rutgers is providing an online training course and test.

The law restricts the amount of N applied per application and annual amount. A certain % must be slow release N.
    P is only permitted if determined by soil test, or when seeding, or when using certain organic fertilizers.
    No fertilizers may be applied between Dec. 1 and March 1.
    This law supersedes all local laws regarding fertilizers.

It's really not hard to comply with.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/healthylawnshealthywater/

4. joee0914

joee0914 LawnSite Member

Im not saying its hard to comply with... they just keep adding licenses for everything now

5. phasthound

That's nothing new. :(

6. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The unfortunate thing is that the state can't regulate all the unlicensed contractors applying pesticides let alone straight fertilizer.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Same here in FL. Fert only license is easy to get. Enforcement is tough but god help you if they do catch you. The state will ring that register and you will be out of business and forever on the radar.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. phasthound

That is very true, the NJ DEP has made it clear that they will not be enforcing this law as no funding to do so was approved.

9. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

In my area of North Central Oklahoma you had better have a license. I have heard that the person in charge of checking for people applying fertilizeris like a "dog hunting a bone". Once she gets wind of someone she is relentless about following up on them. And if by chance you don't have a license she WILL throw the book at you with hesitation.

10. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member