1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fert License in New Jersey

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by joee0914, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, got my letter as well. I was told that they most likely are not going to enforce this . However the next time the state DEP does an audit on you, you better have this Fert license. So i'm told...

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I have not gotten my letter:cry:

Sooo, I broke down and set myself up with a username etc.
    the default password they sent my worked once, would not let me change to a more user friendly password and now I cant get back in at all:hammerhead:

Lets see how long it takes them to respond to my request for help....

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Got my letter, I feel special. And they got back to me on my email pretty quickly too!!! I will try my luck again tomorrow....love having to take a test for the privelage of paying a new business tax.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

i'm wondering by whom?

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

By a local JDL rep. Just his opinion.

6. caissy

caissy LawnSite Member
    from canada

Does those laws also applies to Retailers and not applicators?

thanks

7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Retailers are required to follow parts of the law that applies to them.

8. caissy

caissy LawnSite Member
    from canada

OK thanks, let's try to make this easier :)
    In your knowledge is their a law restricting retail store to sell fertilizers or do they also have to get a registered and obtain a license?
    thanks

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

In NJ, no additional license or registration is required for retailers.
    The following restrictions do apply for retail fertilizer sales:

11. a. No person may sell at retail specialty fertilizer which contains more than 0.7 pounds of water-soluble nitrogen or more than 0.9 pounds of total nitrogen per 1,000 square feet at least 20 percent of which shall consist of slow release nitrogen when applied pursuant to the instructions on the container and is intended for use on turf by consumers.
    b. No person may sell at retail specialty fertilizer which contains phosphorus and is intended for use on turf by consumers unless the intended use of the fertilizer is:
    (1) for application to specific soils and turf as determined to be necessary pursuant to a soil test conducted by a laboratory identified pursuant to subsection b. of section 6 of P.L. , c. and performed no more than three years before the application, and pursuant to the associated annual fertilizer recommendation issued by the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station at Rutgers, the State University;
    (2) for the establishment of turf for the first time, such as after land disturbance, provided the application is in accordance with the standards and requirements established under the “Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Act,” P.L.1975, c.251 (C.4:24-39 et seq.), and the rules and regulations adopted pursuant thereto; or
    (3) for the reestablishment or repair of a turf area.