1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fert License in New Jersey

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by joee0914, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

more money.*trucewhiteflag*
  2. ant

any or you take the exam yet? after i registered and and changed my password it brings me to a page that states:Server Error in '/' Application..i emailed Rutgers so we will see.
  3. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Exam should be available online next week.
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I don't care about the license, I don't care about the fee....my customers pay for that....however, I will now have the camera ready for every tom dick and harry I see applying anything. They better have licenses, lettered trucks, paperwork etc. I will start reporting cause lord knows this crappy state won't police it.
  5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

The whole thing is funny. 90% of what the law asks is common sense that most companies have been doing. You know, do not apply before or after heavy rain, do not apply to impervious areas, keep N under certain amounts, do not apply when ground is frozen, etc.

The website was supposed to be up in Dec., but they must be pushing cause it gets more functional every day. Sort of ticks me off that DEP pesticide applicators are not exempt, but with the big man talking about income tax cuts and the like it doesn't surprise me that there is now one more thing I need to renew and pay for to do business. I'd rather the state adopt a landscape contractor license program and just roll all these licenses and permits into one thing even if it is $1000 per year. Instead doing 10 small ones at $50-250 each is a huge PITA.

I encourage everyone to actually read the material. It is nothing new to most people in the field, but interesting to see it in writing from the university. Sort of makes you wonder what this law is really about. Particularly the section that talks about pollutants. How the majority of it is caused by urban infrastructure and not fertilizer. And how a fertilized lawn contributes less to water contamination than a non fertilized lawn.

So the answer in the end is not policing lawn fertilizing companies, although I still would not be against some sort of restriction on sale to homeowners. Even if it only means restricting sale dates of certain items. Anyone can walk into the local big box tomorrow and pick up 50lbs of weed n feed. Nothing like putting it down Presidents weekend to get a good jump on the neighbor.
  6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

at least its state wide, in NY its by county and they wont renew your home improvement license unless you get your fertilizer certification.

Which, of course, is redundant in both NY and NJ or anywhere else for that matter, if you have your pesticide license it should include these fert licenses as well.

Just add another shingle to the wall that is basically just a receipt of doing business around here.

Can I get a reciprocal fert license like I have a reciprocal NJ pesticide license?

Silly, just silly, more fees for the legit business owner while all these other guys skate and nobody to police it......
  7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

8. ant

9. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, my wife was reading this to me as I was driving. Let me understand this, or please correct me if I'm wrong. We are both licensed pesticide applicators, our business is a licensed commercial business, and we STILL need to get this "fetilizer" license?
    Am I missing something?
  10. ant

From what I understand is yes! I don't think the test on line is fully function able yet I am having problems with logging on. I e mailed them and waiting a reply.
    Posted via Mobile Device