Fert licensing in Ohio

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lqmustang, Nov 10, 2004.

1. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Can any Ohio LCO's point me in the right direction for obtaining the proper licensing for fert and pesticides in Ohio? Part of next season's plans include offering complete lawn care packages, and I want to make sure I have everything in order by the time spring rolls around.

TIA :)

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

3. lqmustang

Thanks Jodi. :)

4. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am from Akron and would like to knw the same info if you find out please pm me the info thanks

5. lqmustang

Ok, been reading thru some of the stuff for getting a commercial applicators license here in Ohio, and have a few questions for others, hopefully in Ohio. Did a couple searches, but didn't really see anything that helps me out here.

1. For those of you that are solo operations, are you able to get away with just having a commercial applicators license, or do you also have the pesticidel business license and pesticide business location to go along with it?

2. When applying for the license, it seems they will just send you a packet of materials to study for the the test. Are these materials enough, or did you find a place to take actual courses to prepare for the test? If so, where did you take these courses?

I'm sure I may come up with another question or 2 yet, but those are the biggest to come to mind so far.

Thanks.

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

For the best information, call the numbers listed in the links above and get it right from the regulators. They are not here to bite you, they are to help.

You won't get as good an idea by trying to interpret things yourself.

7. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

lqmustang,

1. You will need to obtain a pesticide business license (it only costs $35.00) as well as your commercial applicators license (I think it costs $150.00).

2. There are classes you can take that covers most of the material that is on the test. These classes are held every winter (I think January) at the Ohio EPA center in Reynoldsburg. You can take the test immediately after the class if you want.

Good luck,

David

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

A 5 year old could complete the test. Its all multi guess. Obtaining the insurance and finding the cash to pay for it is the fun part.

9. lqmustang

Ok, so what I've gathered so far is the test is a piece of cake, and be prepared to shell out some payup , which isn't a problem unless you are talking 4 digits. I'm not too worried about the insurance bit either. Haven't checked yet, but my current rates are pretty reasonable, and I would think that adding on for fert applications wouldn't increase it too awful much. Many thanks to those that have replied. Time to start making some calls in the next week or so.

:waving:

10. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

"Haven't checked yet, but my current rates are pretty reasonable, and I would think that adding on for fert applications wouldn't increase it too awful much."

I pay $950 for liabillity insurance incl. pesticide. Shop around...........A lot of insurance co's wont touch a start up pesticide co. or anyone without years of experience. Pesticide increases risk and policy $$$$$$$$ like you wouldnt believe.